Facebook
Learning to artistic skate
12-15-2010, 10:16 PM,
RE: Learning to artistic skate
I went to plugs about a year ago. I doubt it would work with stops.
The cool thing about the toe toe spin is that you can drop down low and stand back up while spinning. You can't really do that in a heel-toe spin.

My problem is that I can't get around more than once or so. I seem to hit some sort of mental threshold.
12-16-2010, 10:47 PM,
(12-15-2010, 01:27 PM)melissalovesbugy Wrote: Hi Sarah,

I'm located in central Iowa, near Ames or Des Moines. I'm 29. I don't really have any goals right now I just want to try it and see how I like it. I'm sure falling happens a lot, but that really is the only way to learn.

I am pretty sure my skates really aren't doing me any favors. I only lace them up halfway to about the beginning of my ankle. And I know that I need to tighten the wheels because they get loose sometimes. Oh, and the wheels are really quite old and possibly dirty. Must try to use the other ones I have more often! :-) A coach would be great to help with the basics like you said, but I'm really not sure there are any here.

It sounds like you and your daughter are enjoying skating Wishing you luck in the competition.

Here is a list of rinks in Iowa. I have no idea how current it is, though.
http://www.rinktime.com/roller-skating-r...ting-rinks

You can always give them a ring and ask if they offer artistic skating classes. Where do you skate right now?

S

Sarah L. Hallford
I am not defined by my skate. Wink
12-17-2010, 12:04 AM,
(12-16-2010, 10:47 PM)Sarah Wrote: Here is a list of rinks in Iowa. I have no idea how current it is, though.
http://www.rinktime.com/roller-skating-r...ting-rinks

You can always give them a ring and ask if they offer artistic skating classes. Where do you skate right now?

S

Hey, sorry I didn't have more info. I had loaded up all the websites and was going to check to see if they had lessons listed and then my Safari crashed and I haven't had time to look them up again. I think the one that started with Dream something or other did have lessons listed and a pic of their artistic skaters up.

S
Sarah L. Hallford
I am not defined by my skate. Wink
01-11-2011, 11:27 PM,
Thanks Sara!

It was nice of you to look that up for me. Unfortunately almost all of those skating rinks are 4 to 5 hours away. I think there are maybe 3 around my area. The skating rink I go to doesn't have any lessons, but I have known the owners forever. They used to be speed skaters and are now doing roller derby. Perhaps sometime I will just ask if they know anything about it or have any good resources. I usually skate at Skate North, but sometimes Skate West during the summers. Right now I wish it was summer, we just got 6 inches of snow :-(
01-11-2011, 11:32 PM,
There are two rinks in my area, but neither one has figure circles on the floor. That is a clue right there that it is not something they do around here. It is a whole different culture.