SouthernSkater Forums
Learning to artistic skate - Printable Version

+- SouthernSkater Forums (https://southernskater.com)
+-- Forum: Quad Roller Skating (https://southernskater.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Artistic (https://southernskater.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Learning to artistic skate (/showthread.php?tid=340)

Pages: 1 2

Learning to artistic skate - melissalovesbugy - 12-13-2010

I would love to learn artistic skating, is there any resource that is good for a beginner to learn the basics on moves, jumps, etc? I'm not a beginner skater, but need guidance on moves in this area. Any help would be great :-) Excited to try something different!

RE: Learning to artistic skate - Reserector - 12-14-2010

Welcome to Southern Skater. It's good to have you.

I would love to learn artistic skating myself, but there are no coaches in my area. Sad It is difficult to learn without someone with experience to guide and evaluate you.

The governing body is USA Roller Sports or USARS. There site is here http://usarollersports.org/

Sarah posted a link to the rule book and I was able to download it in .pdf format. I have a printed copy on the desk here. It helps to give me an idea of what it is all about.

Give us a little background; how much do you know about artistic skating? Are there any artistic skaters in your area? What do you have as far as skates?

As far as YouTube videos, I would suggest the new series by Joe Enthor. There are also some gurus that post on SkateLog Forums.

RE: Learning to artistic skate - melissalovesbugy - 12-14-2010

I will have to try the you tube videos. As for background, I've been skating for over 20 years. Since I was little. I can skate forward, backward, crossovers, spin, limbo, leg lift. I can do a waltz jump, but haven't tried any of the others. I don't know a lot about artistic basically what I've seen in videos. Even the precision skating looks fun. It doesn't really seem like there is a lot of interest in this sport in the U.S. I would love to try the other jumps or even the spin things, don't know what they are called that travel across the floor. Hopefully without falling :-) I haven't tried a 3 turn on roller skates, but I bet I could do it. I can also ice skate, but I really haven't been doing that as long or taken any lessons. Thought about taking ice skating lessons to learn skills and transfer over to rollerskating. As for skates I normally use the oldest, most worn out pair of rental skates I've had forever. They're really quite comfortable. Good for the limbo, but I have a feeling are holding me back on spins. I don't lace them up all the way or anything. I do have an artistic pair that I believe are reidell. They seem to skate well, but I hardly ever use them. Too many skates, too small of bag. This seems like it would be a great resource for things to look at or ideas to try!

Dang! you might be my long-lost twin sister separated at birth. Laughing Reading that was like looking in a mirror.

Your favorite pair of skates are rentals? Did I read that right?

RE: Learning to artistic skate - melissalovesbugy - 12-14-2010

Yeah, my favorite pair of skates are old rental ones! Worn to perfection.

RE: Learning to artistic skate - Sarah - 12-15-2010

Melissa,

Welcome to the world of Artistic skating. It is very possible that the skates might be holding you back on spins. But, it could also be that you just need some guidance on perfecting your body posture and footwork. A good coach can help you with both things.

Where are you located and where do you skate right now? How old are you? Do you have any particular goals such as competition? As Mark pointed out, Joe's You Tube videos are a good start but they won't provide you with the nitty gritty details for each move.

I started art skating in April this year and have my second competition this weekend. I'm not a jumper but my daughter is one. Freestyle (or singles) is the area of art skating that involves the most spinning and jumps. It's amazing to be able to fly like that. On the other hand, you get to become very good friends with gravity and the floor. Omg

S

RE: Learning to artistic skate - melissalovesbugy - 12-15-2010

Hi Sarah,

I'm located in central Iowa, near Ames or Des Moines. I'm 29. I don't really have any goals right now I just want to try it and see how I like it. I'm sure falling happens a lot, but that really is the only way to learn.

I am pretty sure my skates really aren't doing me any favors. I only lace them up halfway to about the beginning of my ankle. And I know that I need to tighten the wheels because they get loose sometimes. Oh, and the wheels are really quite old and possibly dirty. Must try to use the other ones I have more often! :-) A coach would be great to help with the basics like you said, but I'm really not sure there are any here.

It sounds like you and your daughter are enjoying skating Wishing you luck in the competition.

RE: Learning to artistic skate - Reserector - 12-15-2010

Here is a toe spin vid that JSA did. I have been working on this one for quite a while. http://southernskater.com/Thread-How-To-Jamskate-Toe-Toe-Spin

RE: Learning to artistic skate - melissalovesbugy - 12-15-2010

Nice toe spin! Good video. So can you do this with toe stops in or do you have to put plugs in?