Facebook
Returning after 20+ years
08-21-2015, 01:15 PM,
RE: Returning after 20+ years
(08-20-2015, 06:31 PM)Russ Wrote: Yeah they take 8mm bearings. Just wondering if the Bones bearings would make enough of a difference to warrant paying $40 for them.

Also, I've provided a link to the bearings I'm talking about. If you could check them out and let me know what you think. I appreciate all the help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171882477688

To be honest, just about anything would be better than the KWIK bearings those come with. I had a set of the "ABEC7" and ABEC9" ones a few years back, and they were both awful. Maybe they have improved them since then, but my experience with that brand (although it is outdated) was not so positive.

I can't speak for price, but Bones Swiss are sort of the benchmark for good bearings.

(08-21-2015, 11:54 AM)Russ Wrote: I will say though about the R3, I've heard mixed reviews about good and bad, but I will say it's the most comfortable "boot" (if you wanna call it a boot) I have ever worn for skating. Never had the first blister from them.

If they feel comfy and the soles hold the plate, then they are doing exactly what they are supposed to do! If they work for you, then I think you did well!
08-21-2015, 11:10 PM,
Thanks for all the help. I think I'll look into getting some new bearings. Also, do they have a decent plate that's aluminum that would bolt to the R3 boot without having to modify it? Sorry for so many questions. I used to skate all the time but this is the first time I have had to upgrade and replace anything.
We may be getting older but that doesn't mean we have get boring and act out age!
08-24-2015, 10:59 AM,
(08-21-2015, 11:10 PM)Russ Wrote: Thanks for all the help. I think I'll look into getting some new bearings. Also, do they have a decent plate that's aluminum that would bolt to the R3 boot without having to modify it? Sorry for so many questions. I used to skate all the time but this is the first time I have had to upgrade and replace anything.

If you get new plates, you will probably have to drill new holes in the boots, which is totally fine. I have a pile of skates, and I think only a couple only have one set of holes in the soles. Ideally the holes will be far apart from each other, but if they are close, JB Weld or some other similar product will fill them right up. I'm not sure of there are any other plates on the market that have the same hole pattern as your stock plates.

In your other thread you mentioned liking having tighter action, the SG Super X or Jogger are affordable, durable plates with shallower kingpin angle, which would be more stable. Be prepared for a weight increase, however. If you want a lighter aluminum plate, the prices go up for something like a ProLine or a Powertrac.

Don't worry about questions... that is the pathway to discussion! Smile
09-14-2015, 08:49 PM,
Well I spoke too soon about the blisters. I think it's more my fault than anything, my son decided we wanted to skate every day of the 3 day labor day weekend. So we skated 6 hours Saturday, 4 hour Sunday, and 5 hours Monday. Needless to say I had a blister as large as the back of my heel which popped sometime during skating. We went back this past Saturday, and it was all I could do to make it for 3 hours. My son just got a new pair of Vanilla Blackmail inlines that rubbed his ankles pretty raw also. Hopefully we'll be healed up by Saturday. I also put in some Moto bearings that came with a pair of Carrera's I ordered for my daughter. She's 5 and said the skates were too slow for her...meaning the bearings rolled too easily and she couldn't do anything but fall, so I switched out my bearings for hers. Now we're both happier with them. I did notice after I changed the bearings that my skates started sliding more but I don't know if it's the bearings or if they did something to the floor.
We may be getting older but that doesn't mean we have get boring and act out age!
09-17-2015, 06:59 AM,
Maybe you're sliding more because you are going faster?
09-19-2015, 05:19 PM,
Could be...Just that they seem to slip more when I push off coming out of the corners. I know one skate came untied today and the string got caught in the wheel. Nasty spill, split the knee of my jeans, left a nasty burn on my knee, burnt almost all the way through the string, and I'm sore as all get out. Ok enough complaining, on a positive note, I'm starting to get the hang of going backwards again. Now just have to work on balance and picking up speed. Will probably be Stretcher before I get it down though...lol.
09-24-2015, 06:44 PM,
Ouch! I hate to hear that. But, it's all part of getting back to skating, I suppose.