Facebook
Returning after 20+ years
08-17-2015, 11:57 PM,
Returning after 20+ years
I've recently gotten back into roller skating. My son is 10 and my daughter is 5 and they both have taken up skating but they want me to get out there with them. I think I'm too big and too old to be trying to skate anymore but they insist. I'm 6'3 270 lbs. So for the past month I've been taking them to the local skating rink and skating with them. The thing is I haven't skated in over 21 years and felt like I was a complete beginner when I put on the rental skates. Not to mention I fell backwards the first week and frontwards the second. So I decided if I was gonna do this I needed some speed skates. I used to skate an old set riedells, I can't even tell you what model they were. So long story short, I went to the rink and bought a set of Riedell R3s. They seem fine when I'm skating slow keeping with my daughter, but when I skate at a faster rate of speed with my son they just feel like they're bogged down. I think I'm too big for these skates but am on a limited budget which is why I went with them in the first place. Also the wood floor is kinda dirty and the owners never buff it. I was just wondering what do you all think? Am I too old, big to be trying to skate? Do I need better skates or is it just me? I used to skate for many years when I was younger (from 3 years to 16 years old) but it just doesn't feel like it when I get out there now.
We may be getting older but that doesn't mean we have get boring and act out age!
08-18-2015, 11:36 AM,
RE: Returning after 20+ years
Hi Russ! Welcome to Southernskater!

I personally think you are never too old to go roller skating... I roller skated for the first time when I was 34, and got really into it for roller derby, and now at 43 I still skate once or twice a week (unless there is a blizzard! Smile )

The R3's aren't terrible skates if you are just going from time to time for fun... the main drawback is that for a guy your size, those nylon plates are going to flex like crazy in turns. Not bad to start off with, but if you are going to head to the rink more often, it is something to keep in mind.

The wheels on those are pretty hard, if I remember correctly so I'm wondering if the bogging down is because of the bearings? I believe R3s come with 8mm bearings. Cheapest remedy is to take them to a skateboard shop and see what they recommend as far as bang for the buck. Bones Reds and MiniLogo bearings roll nice for the price (Reds get killed pretty fast if you do not take care of them) but there are a lot of off-brands that the guys in the skate shop might know about that fly under the radar at a great price (you would just need to buy two sets). On my 8mm skates I generally use GMN or NMB greased bearings and they are great for the price. If you search around, you can find them sometimes.

If you still feel boggy after that, you might need new wheels, which is a little more of an investment, but that is where the fun begins! Smile
08-18-2015, 07:41 PM,
We skate about once a week for 5 to 6 hours. I was thinking it may be the bearings or the wheels. I've heard about flexing but haven't really noticed it. I'm not super fast but I can keep up with some of the faster guys there when I skate with my son. Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna win any races at 36 years old but I hear about people getting back to their youth skating skills pretty quickly. I've been going once a week for about a month now. Just wondering how long it will be before I stop wobbling. It's worst when going slow though. I've looked into new wheels but don't even have a clue where to start. I heard softer would be have more grip but I'm afraid a softer wheel would flex more under my weight.
We may be getting older but that doesn't mean we have get boring and act out age!
08-18-2015, 09:18 PM,
Also for some reason, they don't want to roll on the carpet. Any suggestions?
08-19-2015, 01:05 AM,
Nothing rolls well on carpet, really.
As for getting back to your old skills, that is very possible, if you can physically do it, or compensate for your larger size. Myself, and most of the adults I skate with have surpassed their teenage abilities.

Keep at it. It will be great time with your kids.
Start researching skates and wheels that are better suited for your size and skating style. My guess is that you are already researching, because you are a member here.

Welcome back to skating, and to the "cool dad" club.
08-19-2015, 10:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-19-2015, 10:09 AM by fresh eddie fresh.)
(08-18-2015, 07:41 PM)Russ Wrote: We skate about once a week for 5 to 6 hours. I was thinking it may be the bearings or the wheels. I've heard about flexing but haven't really noticed it. I'm not super fast but I can keep up with some of the faster guys there when I skate with my son. Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna win any races at 36 years old but I hear about people getting back to their youth skating skills pretty quickly. I've been going once a week for about a month now. Just wondering how long it will be before I stop wobbling. It's worst when going slow though. I've looked into new wheels but don't even have a clue where to start. I heard softer would be have more grip but I'm afraid a softer wheel would flex more under my weight.

When I was 36 we were starting up a derby league in New Hampshire, and we would go to the teen night open skate every Friday night. The first time I was passing the people half my age during the speed skate was quite a rush... and I had only been skating for two years at that point. I'm sure if you keep up with it, you will be flying in no time!

If you look in the sponsor section, there are some discounts for being a Southernskater member... they take good care of us. Smile

Wheels are dependent on your rink floor... if you want something that is a little faster on a budget, I recommend the Rollerbones Day of the Dead series. The 96a's grip like a much softer wheel (after you break them in... they are slick for the first couple of sessions) and roll really well. Don't let the nylon hubs steer you away, they are amazing wheels for the price. If you were looking for really grippy wheels, you could probably go a little softer on those as well. A buddy of mine uses a mix of the 96a and 92a wheels and he is a bigger guy.

You can also ask people at your rink what wheels they think works best for them on your surface. Every floor is different, so having first hand information is always a good thing!

Have fun!
08-19-2015, 10:57 AM,
Thanks for the help. Right now I'm trying to save up for some new bearings. I've noticed the bones swiss bearings are pretty pricey at the skate shops and skate sites but are about half price on ebay. They're about $100 at the shops but they're $35 for 2 sets on ebay. My question is, are they different? Also, I noticed some said no spacer, I'm assuming they're for skateboards. Does it make a difference if they're skateboard bearings? Also would it make a difference over my stock bearings?
08-20-2015, 11:47 AM,
(08-19-2015, 10:57 AM)Russ Wrote: Thanks for the help. Right now I'm trying to save up for some new bearings. I've noticed the bones swiss bearings are pretty pricey at the skate shops and skate sites but are about half price on ebay. They're about $100 at the shops but they're $35 for 2 sets on ebay. My question is, are they different? Also, I noticed some said no spacer, I'm assuming they're for skateboards. Does it make a difference if they're skateboard bearings? Also would it make a difference over my stock bearings?

Bones makes all sorts of different bearings... Swiss are typically pretty expensive, but the Reds (made in China) are great bang for your buck. Skateboards all take 8mm bearings, and some roller skates take 8mm bearings, and others take 7mm. I'm willing to bet yours take the same 8mm as skateboards... the outer diameter is the same on all of them.

There are varying opinions on whether spacers work or not. I think if the size of them is absolutely right on with your wheels they work great, but if not, it is just another bit of metal rattling around inside of your wheel (no harm, just not added value, either).
08-20-2015, 06:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-20-2015, 06:33 PM by Russ.)
Yeah they take 8mm bearings. Just wondering if the Bones bearings would make enough of a difference to warrant paying $40 for them.

Also, I've provided a link to the bearings I'm talking about. If you could check them out and let me know what you think. I appreciate all the help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171882477688
08-21-2015, 11:54 AM,
I will say though about the R3, I've heard mixed reviews about good and bad, but I will say it's the most comfortable "boot" (if you wanna call it a boot) I have ever worn for skating. Never had the first blister from them.