Facebook
The last of my family to get into skating
03-10-2015, 03:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-10-2015, 03:16 PM by Reserector.)
RE: The last of my family to get into skating
You just got a sweet deal. Punk Post up when you get the stuff and give us your thoughts. Oh, also, they may be fully adjusted when they arrive, but it is good to check, and to become familiar with the plate and truck adjustments. Go to our Home page and watch the first video. The one about adjusting trucks. It will pertain to yours.

Easier yet, here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CdUTTyFFMw
03-10-2015, 03:25 PM,
Clawz are, well ... meh. They are an OK wheel. I've skated them, but found them to be on the slippery side, and not the best "roll". Let her try the Superflys some time. Shades
BTW, what color boots and wheels did you pick?
03-10-2015, 05:46 PM,
I haven't made the purchase just yet. I've been doing some reading about 45 and 10 degree plates, and think the 10 degree Sure Grip aluminum Avanti might be my choice. Sounds like the 45 degree are a more aggressive setup. I will get a black boot and red and black wheels.

can you give me any more info on the 45 and 10 degree differences?
03-10-2015, 09:31 PM,
There ya go. You are on a MUCH better path now. Thumbsupup
W00t1
03-11-2015, 07:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-11-2015, 07:13 AM by Reserector.)
The 45 can turn sharper with the same amount of foot lean. How easily either skate leans is determined by the stiffness of the cushions. The main reason I suggested the 45 is because it has a broader range of adjustability.

More turning is not less stable, however. I found that when I switched to 45s that I was more stable, especially at low speeds, because I could more quickly steer my skate back under me if I got out of whack. The 10s (for me) had a tendency to want to go straight when I needed them to turn. I had to pick up my foot more often to re-aim it, if that makes any sense.

At this point in the game, it is a guess for you. We are all different. You won't know what style of skating you prefer until you have been at it a while. You may just want to flip a coin. You are still going to have a great set of skates. And if you go a different direction in the future, you have something that you can sell on Ebay that someone will gladly buy.
03-11-2015, 11:08 AM,
The last of my family to get into skating
Yeah, do NOT be intimated by a 45. Set it up any way you like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love Mrs. slowpoke.
03-11-2015, 04:41 PM,
It is a weird conundrum, stability between 10 and 45.
It is harder to get unstable with 10, but once unstable harder to fix.
It is easier to get unstable with 45, but once unstable EASIER to fix.
Go figure. Shock
W00t1
03-12-2015, 08:55 AM,
http://www.derbysmack.com/skate-plates-a...ngles.html
03-12-2015, 03:59 PM,
Ok, DERBYSMACK.com is AWESOME.... I guess it's Nathan there that I have been bugging for the past several days with question after question. I think with DS's help I have narrowed it down to Rebel boots\Powerdyne Rival\Reds\Cosmic Superfly's, and I will place an order next week. Can't wait.... W00t1
03-14-2015, 11:35 PM,
Got out on the rink tonight and had a blast. Starting to get my skate legs back under me. I cannot wait to get some better quads.