SouthernSkater Forums
The last of my family to get into skating - Printable Version

+- SouthernSkater Forums (https://southernskater.com)
+-- Forum: General Forums (https://southernskater.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself (https://southernskater.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: The last of my family to get into skating (/showthread.php?tid=1385)

Pages: 1 2 3

The last of my family to get into skating - DirtDobber - 03-06-2015

Hi All,

Just hit 43 this year and haven't skated since I was a teenager. Well, my two girls (13 and 9) are both taking artistic skating and speed skating lessons on Saturday and then we go night skating on Saturday. So a typical Sat is about 10 hours skating (starts at 8am and ends at 11pm with breaks in between). My wife skates too, so last week I ordered a pair of Pacer GTX500's for me to get started with. My wifes brother and his boys speed skate and night skate with us, so it's an extended family thing and I was getting pretty bored sitting there all day. I have only had my skates on in the house, but I am actually getting the feel for them under my feet. I will be hitting the rink this weekend (hopefully not physically hitting the rinkShock). When I get better, I will def want to upgrade the skates so will be looking on here for ideas on what to graduate too. Looking forward to the exercise this will give me as well.

RE: The last of my family to get into skating - rufusprime99 - 03-06-2015

If at all possible, return those Pacers IMMEDIATELY. THEY ARE NOT SKATES DESPITE HAVING A PASSING RESEMBLANCE TO SKATES. They are a COMPLETE waste of money. To wit: A decent wheel start at $30-$60 dollars. Decent bearings cost $30. A decent low end boot costs $100. A decent low end plate, $60. Add that up and you will see the problem. The Pacers are unsafe and will provide you with a HORRIBLE skate experience. As bad as they are, use the rentals at the rink and pony up for something like this: http://www.derbysmack.com/suregrip-rebel-fugitive.html And while you are at it, have Nathan put in some urethane cushions.

Do not use the Pacers. Send them back!!

RE: The last of my family to get into skating - Reserector - 03-06-2015

Don't sugar coat it, Rufus. Laughing But I have to agree that a poor quality skate could ruin your fun.
Welcome to the site. Welcome back to skating. And most of all, welcome to the Great Dad club. Shades

The last of my family to get into skating - slowpoke - 03-07-2015

Hello and welcome dirt dirtdobber. Big props for getting on the floor with the fam, and away from the parents on the rail ready to go home.

Please get with Nathan. He is active on this site and he has derbysmack.com. He can put you in quality skates, and through this site you can get serious discounts. Also Reserector has been a big help to me and numerous others and he is very accessible (I think that's the word I'm looking for). They, and any one else here, will be glad to assist you in getting quality comfortable equipment at nearly any budget, to give you a great skating experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: The last of my family to get into skating - DirtDobber - 03-09-2015

Are Vanilla Jr any good?

RE: The last of my family to get into skating - Reserector - 03-10-2015

Better.
You've told us that you are a new skater, so I won't try to talk you into investing in really good skates with good resale value, but the pacers are really at the bottom of the heap.
Vanilla Junior is a decent rink skate. Depending on how much you skate, and other factors, they may or may not work well for you over time.
For example, not all plastic plates will work well under the weight of an adult, or someone with a long foot, and that is usually what you get with the bargain skates.
Often, the cheap boots fall apart way before you are tired of them. I guess it is a case of getting what you pay for.

But to Rufus' point, you need something that will not prevent you from being successful. So to that extent, the Jr will work.

What size do you wear? How much do you weigh? What type of floor will you skate on? I'm sure we can throw you some suggestions based on your answers. Because if you can spend $150 to $200, you can get skates that you will enjoy right from the start, and continue to enjoy for years.

The last of my family to get into skating - slowpoke - 03-10-2015

If you have a big foot, I've got a pair I'll sell you cheap. Near new budget skate. Riedell R3s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: The last of my family to get into skating - DirtDobber - 03-10-2015

(03-10-2015, 07:52 AM)Reserector Wrote: Better.
You've told us that you are a new skater, so I won't try to talk you into investing in really good skates with good resale value, but the pacers are really at the bottom of the heap.
Vanilla Junior is a decent rink skate. Depending on how much you skate, and other factors, they may or may not work well for you over time.
For example, not all plastic plates will work well under the weight of an adult, or someone with a long foot, and that is usually what you get with the bargain skates.
Often, the cheap boots fall apart way before you are tired of them. I guess it is a case of getting what you pay for.

But to Rufus' point, you need something that will not prevent you from being successful. So to that extent, the Jr will work.

What size do you wear? How much do you weigh? What type of floor will you skate on? I'm sure we can throw you some suggestions based on your answers. Because if you can spend $150 to $200, you can get skates that you will enjoy right from the start, and continue to enjoy for years.

Sounds good, I would much rather spend $150-250 on good skates, than $200 for Vanilla's that may not last. I do seem to be getting my stride going pretty good, no crossovers yet. I weigh 230 now and hoping to go down with adding skating a lot each week. I wear a 9.5/10 typically depending on shoe brand. The two rinks we go to are both wood floors. One is kind of run down, but the one we usually go to just refinished their floors about 1.5 years ago. My biggest thing, is a comfortable boot, since we are at the rink a lot. We also don't outdoor skate. What wheel hardness should I use for these wood rinks?

RE: The last of my family to get into skating - Reserector - 03-10-2015

My favorite go-to, best bang for the buck is still something on a Sure-Grip Invader DA45 or Avenger DA45 aluminum plate.
Maybe get it with the Sure-Grip Rebel boot for low-cost comfort in a leather boot, that will hold up pretty well.
Get decent bearings at the same time, and save in the long run. China reds or MOTO Deluxe.
Wheels? I recommend Cosmic Superfly, hands down. Available in any color, they are an outstanding wheel at any price. They just happen to be cheap. I use them, and am the same weight as you, skating on a wood floor.

There is probably no package skate like that, but you can have an online place put it together for you. I seriously recommend DerbySmack.com, because they have always taken great care of us SS members, they know their stuff, and live by customer satisfaction. There is a chat box on there that I use to tell them what I want, and have never been disappointed. Just start by saying that you "were on southernskater.com and ..."

They will set up your skates as Standard, Sport, or Short Forward mount. That has to do with where the axles are in relation to where your weight is applied to them. My recommendation for a beginner would be the sport mount, because it is the most versatile. It will turn and react very well. Though if you favor high speed over footwork, or if you see yourself just meandering around the rink and being social, favor the standard mount.

That is my personal recommendation. Take it for what it's worth. You won't hurt my feelings if you go with something completely different.

RE: The last of my family to get into skating - DirtDobber - 03-10-2015

Just talked to them and looking at the Rebel boot with alum avenger DA-45 with superfly and reds for $200 shipped... Also same boot and same plate for my wife for $144 shipped (she has a new set of Clawz and qube juice). I will just have a sacrificial burning of the GTX's. Thank you all for your help and knowledge...