Facebook
Back to rolling
01-29-2013, 10:17 PM,
Back to rolling
Hi everyone. I'm an old guy from Kentucky getting back on skates with my girl after a 20+ year break. Been reading skatelog forum but they don't seem to read their emails about forum registrations so when I saw an old review that linked to this forum I was pretty happy to find another like minded community. I've got some used labeda's off craigslist and upgraded the bearings but after a couple of sessions I knew they weren't going to keep me happy so I started talking with Aussie Scott who had me contact sk8doc and we are working on getting a set of Bont QRL with Avenger Mag plates and Qube 8 ball bearings and of course Aussie Scott Super Enforcers. Really excited to find out how they turn out.

I started bicycling a couple of years ago and as soon as I did I wondered why I ever stopped. Same thing happened when I went to a skating party for my nephew in December. Why did I ever stop? Lucky for me I think I have all my childhood passions re-discovered now since I spend most of my free time on them.

Anyone else from KY?

Wes
01-29-2013, 10:30 PM,
RE: Back to rolling
Welcome to the forum, you'll enjoy it here

Cheers
-Yosh
You are the only one who sets your limitations
01-30-2013, 12:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-30-2013, 12:01 AM by Reserector.)
I'm not from KY, but I hear your story loud and clear. It seems that many of us have been reunited with skating because of a skating party.
Your skates are going to be awesome. Doc Sk8 does nothing but great work.
You are not the first person lately to mention that they are not registering new members on SLF. Maybe they will set a day aside to get caught up. Shrug We're certainly happy to have you, though. Welcome

I recall stopping skating when I was about 17. I was always out on the floor doing my thing. Many of the other high school guys were way behind the curve, so they got mad at me when their girlfriends wanted to skate with me during couples only. They typically threatened to beat me up when I left. None of them ever got a lick in, but that mess got old, and I stopped going. I turned my energies to motorcycle racing.

Maybe your story is similar? Different attraction?
01-30-2013, 10:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-30-2013, 10:39 AM by Reserector.)
welcome to the forum weswar.
okie
Rollin Rollin down that lonesome Highway. lookin for a skate place.Thumbsupup
01-30-2013, 12:15 PM,
Smile  RE: Back to rolling
Hey Wes. Welcome to the forum..

I am from Ky too, South central area about 75 miles south from Lexington, theres a few decent places to skate at depending where ya live.

I travel about 50 miles to corbin as much as i can because you can skate there, no rules to hold ya back and the floor is wood with nice grip, a little loose in some spots and it hasnt been coated in a while but it holds well for me and i love that rink.
There floor is about @180 ft. long by @75feet wide built in 1955, it was a hockey rink for years and the family that owns it has been in roller sports there whole lives. The owner and i have talked skating a lot and he knows a lot of skate history. He showed me some old pictures of the big hockey games when they traveled to california for nationals and won from what i remember and some killer pairs of skates that inspired me to buy some vintage gear to build a hockey set-up; which i havn't put together yet; i have everything sitting in a box ready, i just need to set aside a good saturday morning to put it all together, lol got a lot of things going on though.

Theres no games, lazer tag or other things to do beside roll, the owner has a few skate games for the kids during session, and the people there are just awsesome and nice. It's a big slice of skate heaven for me.

I said there are no rules.. actually there are but they apply more to the kiddies, but they never have said anything to me or my daughters.. Most of kids skate on the inside and the outside is wide open which is awesome for me.

Sorry for ranting on.. i can talk about that rink for days..

Champs in Lex is a killer rink too.

Its cool to have another Ky skater here, and ya can't go wrong with S.E. Scotts, i have a few sets my self, just get the right compound for your weight, skate likes and floor conditions and you will be set for "years", the most durable wheel out there...

what rink or rinks you skate at??
01-30-2013, 02:31 PM,
Well so far I have kept it to the two rinks closest to home. Champs in Louisville on Lagrange Road and Robbens Roost off Six Mile Lane also in Louisville. I have heard good things about Champs in Lexington also, so it is on my list to get to some time soon. Looks like a 2 hour ride out to Corbin from my house. What is the name of the rink? Do they have a website?
01-30-2013, 03:33 PM,
your in northen Ky, cool.
I know 2 guys in your area that skate, maybe i can lure one of 'em to join here. I've been to champs in Louiseville and manslick rollerdome, nice rinks.

That corbin rink is "Gerry's roller rink" they dont have a website. like i said its a old fashioned rink but its still cool and it would be a long haul for you.. lol youve got some nice places to roll up your way. Theres some skate meets every once in while in lexington, not races but just a bunch of adult skaters frm ky, tn, ind and other states , there a lot of fun. I'll hit ya up next time we have a shin dig and you can come roll with us..
01-30-2013, 09:43 PM,
That sounds great Christopher-T.
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.