Facebook
What was your best skate experience?
06-21-2012, 12:09 PM,
What was your best skate experience?
I've had some very memorable days/nights of skating, but for me, the best times were on family nights when my girl Tracy was there. Skating with her during "Couples Only" was heaven on earth. I was too young to have a serious boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, but I sure enjoyed those days.

Love
06-21-2012, 09:42 PM,
RE: What was your best skate experience?
I have lots of skating history. Before I met my wife I used to live at the area rinks. I'd go to one and if nothing was going on I'd drive to another. I skated with a lot of girls in the "Moonlight Couples Only" skates and dated several young ladies for several years that I met at the rink. And, in fact my mom and dad met at a skating rink. Things are really different today...no more couple skates except the last skate of the session. The lights were always on unless a couples skate...now they are mostly off. I guess the best part now is that I can still do it...I'm the old man of the rink and nobody has skates like mine but hey...nobody cares, so it's game on!
My Skates:
Riedell 297 Boots
Roll Line Ring Plates
Roll Line Speed Bearings
Bones Super Elite 57mm x 30mm 103a Wheels

06-21-2012, 11:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-21-2012, 11:48 PM by Reserector.)
Being the old guy has its merits. Smile
What ever happened to couples skates? That's how MY parents met, also.
06-22-2012, 11:01 AM,
(06-21-2012, 11:47 PM)Reserector Wrote: Being the old guy has its merits. Smile
What ever happened to couples skates? That's how MY parents met, also.

I was wondering the same thing. After many years absent from skating & now back I sure do miss couple only skating... Boo
06-22-2012, 05:28 PM,
They used to either start the couples only skate and turn the lights down or have the guys and girls line up along the rail opposite each other and the girls would go over and pick somebody out. I always was afraid I wouldn't get picked. At this one rink they had a room with a jukebox and kids would go in there to hold hands or smoke. Now during the all night skates kids cuddle and sleep together...we don't have any kids so I have yet to figure out if this is a good thing or bad thing or just a thing. I'm sure the kids think it's a good thing...it's just really weird to see activity like this.
Speaking of activity, last week I saw a girl skate up to and much younger girl and push her as hard as she could from behind. The girl fell but wasn't hurt and I tried to keep an eye on her in case the older girl tried it again but she didn't. Today we had an appearance by Roller Roo! He's a big animal of some type with floppy ears and a tail like a small dinosaur. The kids go nuts when the Roo appears and they hug him and high 5 him and they have gotten to to point of almost mobbing him so they send him out with a guard walking/skating behind to keep the kids mainly from pulling his tail. I was a little behind Roo and saw a big kid taller them me...I'm not that tall...go up and push him. The girl inside is and excellent skater and didn't fall but if she would have there is no way she could have gotten up by herself. I yelled at the kid and then took up a position on Roo's right flank and the guard took the other. Why would a kid do that?
Sonny01
Doofywave
My Skates:
Riedell 297 Boots
Roll Line Ring Plates
Roll Line Speed Bearings
Bones Super Elite 57mm x 30mm 103a Wheels

06-22-2012, 08:43 PM,
I used to go to the rink with my one old girlfriend and enjoy couples skating with her. It was a great time but nothing really beats now. I get to go with my girlfriend (well, once shes back from Italy right now) to open skates and skate with her and race around, also like to hold hands while skating as well. Then I also have derby practice nights with her as well. I don't think you can have as close a relationship where you can skate holding hands, then the next night at a practice call her on direction of game play or major back blocks and still be able to hug and kiss at the end of the day =]
Sure-Grip Rebel Boots - Red
Sure-Grip White DA45 Magnesium Plates
Sure-Grip Fugitive Wheels - Purple 89a/Red 95a Zombies with Moto Prem Swiss, Red 92A with Bones Super Swiss 6, Black 92A/Orange 89A with Moto Prem Swiss