Facebook
Does anyone else have this issue with their bearings?
01-09-2012, 11:32 AM,
Does anyone else have this issue with their bearings?
I check the roll of my wheels & bearings very often and I've been noticing that certain wheels roll slower so I take out the bearings and to my surprise one of the bearings (outer, side closest to nut) rolls slow. I notice that the rubber shield is indented in so I take it off & flatten it back out, voila it spins again.

The bearings I use are Mini-Logo (1 metal shield, 1 rubber shield); they spin smooth & quick (when the shield isn't bent). I tighten my wheels until there is a slight jiggle, because I notice that the wheel spins slower if I tighten it anymore. Now, I've noticed that the bent shield only happen in the rear wheels (outer bearing).

I'm trying something right now: using small washers that will space the nut from the bearing and it seems to work fine for now.
01-09-2012, 12:39 PM,
RE: Does anyone else have this issue with their bearings?
There is a video in the How To thread http://southernskater.com/Thread-Video-L...-To-Videos (4th video down) that explains how the seals can become damaged during tightening, and how to avoid/eliminate it.

Snugging the nut until a slight drag is felt, then backing off a bit IS the correct way to set the nuts.
01-09-2012, 09:52 PM,
Yes, thanks for the video and I've seen this before. With the "slight wiggle" after backing the nut off it still allows the shield to rub against the nut though; this is before I put washers in there.
01-09-2012, 11:13 PM,
No harm in that.
01-10-2012, 10:31 AM,
I recently cleaned my bearings for the first time and noticed something. The back of the bearing is open...Why is that? I use Bones Swiss bearings. Also when I reinstall the wheels on the axles and spin them the whole wheel and bearing spin on the shaft. I would have thought just the wheel would spin and the part that goes on the shaft would stay put.
Sonny01
My Skates:
Riedell 297 Boots
Roll Line Ring Plates
Roll Line Speed Bearings
Bones Super Elite 57mm x 30mm 103a Wheels

01-10-2012, 10:42 AM,
The inner part should stay still on the axle. However, if there is a little grit in the bearing, or not weight at all on the wheel, it may spin on ths axle. Once you put your weight on the wheel, that axle will bear against the axle and not spin. That is unless it is seized. Shrug
01-10-2012, 01:55 PM,
This also brings up another thing I was wondering. Does a fast/long free spinning bearing (with no weight on it; skates laying on a desk) correlate exactly with it being able to spin just as fast if one was to actually have weight on the skates/bearings?
01-19-2012, 09:55 PM,
No one ever answered my question!! ^^^Boo
01-20-2012, 10:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2012, 10:46 AM by Reserector.)
(01-10-2012, 01:55 PM)KevinT707 Wrote: This also brings up another thing I was wondering. Does a fast/long free spinning bearing (with no weight on it; skates laying on a desk) correlate exactly with it being able to spin just as fast if one was to actually have weight on the skates/bearings?

Short answer is "no". Spinning a wheel with no weight on it can help you tell if the axle nuts are too tight as you adjust them. It can also let you hear crunchy dirt in the bearing. Other than that, it is no indication of how well it will roll in actual use.

A good example is a bearing that is packed with grease instead of lightly oiled. The greased bearing will seem slow when spinning them in the air, but roll fast and easy under a load.
01-20-2012, 06:34 PM,
I see. This does make sense.