Facebook
Who here skates outdoors?
12-15-2011, 10:40 AM,
Who here skates outdoors?
As I was skating around my driveway last night, I was wondering who else here takes it to the streets. What skates do you use? Where do you skate? Who do you skate with?
12-16-2011, 12:39 AM,
RE: Who here skates outdoors?
I've been wanting to skate outside but I'm afraid of ruining my wheels & also if I happen to fall it won't be pretty on pavement Sad
12-16-2011, 06:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2011, 06:50 AM by Reserector.)
(12-16-2011, 12:39 AM)KevinT707 Wrote: I've been wanting to skate outside but I'm afraid of ruining my wheels & also if I happen to fall it won't be pretty on pavement Sad

Do you have a good place that you could skate?
12-21-2011, 01:14 AM,
Now that I think about there are at least a couple places off the top of my head that are 'good' places to skate around. What's your opinion on riding outside on my newer Twister wheels? Would it make them less effective on a rink floor or actually improve grip by giving the surface area of the wheel more friction?
12-21-2011, 08:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-21-2011, 08:41 AM by Reserector.)
I don't think you will appreciate the vibration you will get from a hard, rink wheel like the Twister. Pick up a set of softer wheels with higher "rebound" for outdoors. They are smoother rolling, give better grip on the rough surface, and roll over stuff better.

Some suggestions would be Route 62, Route 65, Sonic, Aerobic, or even hybrids like Sugar, Poison, and the black hybrids that DerbySmack has.
DerbySmack has a clearance going on the Sonics right now. I think either them or NewJamSkates.com has teh black hybrids for about $40. A great deal for an alluminum hub wheel. They are a bit narrow, though. Both of these are favorites of mine that I skate the crap out of .

Sonic - http://www.derbysmack.com/crazy-deals.html
Black hybrids - http://www.newjamskates.com/wheels-8-pac...30780.html

You should get some pads as well. I strongly reccomend wrist guards. Elbow and knee pads are a good idea as well. Throw on a helmet as well, and you can go berserk and not get hurt. Sneaky But wrist guards at a minimum.
12-22-2011, 06:06 PM,
But wrist guards at a minimum.

I have always had a wrist brace on my left wrist because I broke it and in the last few weeks have added knee pads and elbow pads that are thin enough to wear under my clothes. I started a week ago or so wearing a wrist brace on my right wrist just like on the left with the wide metal that goes up into the palm. Today there were very few kids at the rink until the buses pulled in...240 kids total...and about a half dozen older speedsters. One of them got me from behind and I slammed down on my right wrist and even with the brace it hurt like heck and I could feel the jolt up in my shoulder. I was OK after a few minutes and am very glad I had the brace on.
Doofywave
Sonny01
My Skates:
Riedell 297 Boots
Roll Line Ring Plates
Roll Line Speed Bearings
Bones Super Elite 57mm x 30mm 103a Wheels

12-22-2011, 11:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-22-2011, 11:54 PM by Reserector.)
I haven't fallen on my wrist in several months, and was recently thinking about not wearing the braces. Then I remembered moments like what you just described and put them on. It still hurts if you fall, but think how bad it would have hurt if your weren't wearing them.

The thing about outside is the abrasion. If you are getting wrist guards mainly for outdoors, consider getting the ones that protect the entire heel of your hand. Additionally, knee and elbow pads should have a plastic outer layer so that they slide on pavement as opposed to gripping. If they grip the pavement, they will just get pulled off if you are moving when you hit.

All that being said, I have a ball skating outside. It is often an adventure. Especially if you can go to a park or something.
12-23-2011, 12:15 AM,
Good advice, I'm definitely looking into getting a set of thin pads that I can wear underneath my clothing. Thanks for posting the link Reserector, I really like the black hybrid wheels (free shipping with coupon code is a plus); I might get a set real soon.
12-23-2011, 12:57 AM,
If you get the hybrids, get a set of cheap bearings to go with them. Something like an ABEC 3 or 5. The cheap bearings seem to hold up better outdoors.
That way you can leave them in the wheels for quick changes. They probably have some on that site.

The Sonics come with the bearings.
12-23-2011, 01:04 AM,
Here are a couple of videos to go along with this topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XQ-0GmRX8U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MqVro9LB...s90CiEX00L