Facebook
Christopher-T - New Guy here, Hello Folks..
07-05-2011, 03:49 PM,
RE: New Guy here, Hello Folks..
Sweet, thanks for the warm welcome folks. How did everybodies weekend go??? it didnt last long enough for me..

it's been almost a week now since i went skating,Boo but i just got done wiping my wheels down and putting the wrist guards, knee brace and sweat rag in my skates.. LOL i wear size 12's so my skates can carry a few things inside 'em..

I bought a box of goodies last year which included some really turny plates, i skated them last year for a few months but took 'em off because i did'nt think i'd be turning that much, well i screwed 'em back on the bottoms of some boots yesterday to skate 'em again tonight. After watching bpike doing 360's a few weeks back, i figured turny plates might help me weasle my way through his 4 step proccess.. ( I'll keep ya posted Billy ) I just took an aleve just incase i get re aquainted with the floor. heehee. so... wish me luck. lets go skate.Smile

07-05-2011, 05:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-05-2011, 05:19 PM by Reserector.)
I can't wait to hear how this turns out. Laughing
I am a big fan of turny plates. I think you will be also.

Please elaborate on the 4 step process.
07-05-2011, 11:58 PM,
(07-05-2011, 05:18 PM)Reserector Wrote: I can't wait to hear how this turns out. Laughing
I am a big fan of turny plates. I think you will be also.

Please elaborate on the 4 step process.

Alright Res. I did need the aleve because my knee was definitely worked over tonight. I thought i was about to hit the floor going at a decent pace when a teenage kid jumped off the carpet onto the floor but i avoided him, well except when one of my outside wheels clipped his.. i kept rolling but it caused him to well... imagine someone sticking a tree limb in the front wheel of a moving bicycle...Oops i helped him back up and made sure he was cool and gave him a 1 minute traffic school lesson..
Got back out on the floor and went at it some more.. I had purple SG super cushions on the plate last year. but after skating a budget plastic nova plate with upgraded suspension my ankles has definitely gotten stronger especially on a carbon soled boot. so i switched to yellow SG super cushions- 20 laps later i still wasn't outskating the nova, so i made another pit stop and popped on the Blue SG supers. Well .. 20-25 laps later i finally confirmed without denial i had a set of formula one handling skates that had more immediate turn in than the novas and i didn't have to hold them up. But like before i lost some push off but with the crowd level tonight it was all good, i'm gonna give these more floor time for a while.. Out of the 15- 20 360's i attempted there were about 4 of them i pulled off where my oldest daughter said WOW !! but i need more practice,, a lot of practice, i just got lucky enough i guess for my daughter see the best ones i did. LOL. I still consider myself a entry level skater..
As far as the 4 step process. I'm out Res. Bpike will have to ellaborate on that to make sense of it.. best i can describe is 1.) transition frontwards to backwards, and as your doing so.. 2.) take the follower foot that first pulled you backwards and keep following the arch beyond the point of leveling to backwards position 3.) take the other foot and step around back to frontwards while.. 4.) you lift your heel to get on your front axle on the follower foot to as your other foot is steering you to the front line straight line getting back to frontwards a little easier while pushing off during the 180 point onwards... if that makes sense. but he has said that theres a 100 different ways you can customize the move to your style or likeness. He's a humble skater but i'll tell ya.. he has the sickest (with the upmost respect given) 360 i have ever seen and does it at a really good speed i may add... It will take me a long time just to be able to do it at warp 4-1/2.. LOL The turny plate i have is a Suregrip magnum with a D/A kit, pretty much the same plate you have.. i skated a few other DA 45's they all drive the same to me. my bad for the long winded story but i had a blast tonight and had to share.. since you seemed interested..Smile
07-06-2011, 08:41 AM,
I appreciate the thorough explanation, and I truly AM intersted. You answered all of my questions. I now understand that the plate you went back to is a magnum DA45, and that a 360ยบ is done while travelling. I initially thought you were talking about a spin or a loop.

Call you self a novice if you prefer, but 360s are an advanced skill. When you begin to combine the moves needed to do that, you are no longer a novice. 360s, especially multiple 360s in immediate succession (at any speed), are very impressive to most everyone at any given session, including those who are capable themselves. Respect It puts a skater on a whole new level. It has a high WOW factor. Shades

It sounds like you know what you want, and are on the right road to achieving it. Thumbsupup I didn't have much success whith that move myself until I upgraded to the XK-4 DA45s that I am on now. You have to hae a skate that will get back under you, and that is what the DA45 is great at.
I don't know if you have seen the video of me that is currently on the home page, but I cranked a few 360s on that clip. You can see the footwork pretty well on one particular pass where the camera was zoomed in on my skates.

It's good that you have bpike to inspire and guide you. I have to learn from videos and forum explanations. Razz
07-06-2011, 01:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-06-2011, 01:28 PM by Christopher-T.)
I like to talk skating but it's really hard to describe in words. As far as the novice thing, i guess i just consider myself a plain jane quad skater Blush. I feel as if i'm still in the learning process to become part of the bigger picture if ya know what i mean, I seen your videos and your definitely there man, you pull of the 360 moves that i'm aiming for. I've had the chance to share the floor with some awesome skaters at skate meets here and there, and have watched a lot of different styles. I'm still trying to get the shuffle rhythm down pat since i grew up just trying to go fast only i still have some work to do.

I'm skating with a (still healing) tail bone ,once i get some butt protection i'll be more uninhibited to just go with the "skate-or-die" enthusiasm, i might be in what some call a stagnant periodDry but i'm trying to get out of it.. I'm a little more comfortable on a wooden floor since i broke my wrist and my tailbone on concrete.. while i was skates.Stretcher LOL I've made the comment before that for 34 years i went without broken bones and with both fractures happening in the past year on skates i must be a few clicks ahead of my guardian angels. The videos you've made is awesome Res. i'm a watch first then attempt to duplicate kind of guy, i'm just a little slow at it..

07-06-2011, 02:40 PM,
I'm in a bit of a rut myself. We all learn in bursts, then level off. The best thing to do is as you said; watch others and study their styles.
Lots of choices for padding these days. I say pad up and go for it. Biggrin
07-07-2011, 02:08 PM,
Simply put...it's two mohawk turns back to back, once you get the hang of it you can modify to suit your individual skating style....sliding or rolling a foot instead of picking it up. Sorry I'm much better at showing how I do something than telling.

Hey Chris, are you gonna be able to make Brentwood?
07-08-2011, 08:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-08-2011, 08:16 PM by Christopher-T.)
(07-07-2011, 02:08 PM)bpike503 Wrote: Simply put...it's two mohawk turns back to back, once you get the hang of it you can modify to suit your individual skating style....sliding or rolling a foot instead of picking it up. Sorry I'm much better at showing how I do something than telling.

Hey Chris, are you gonna be able to make Brentwood?

2 mohawks,Razz Everytime i try it Billy i can hear you in my head saying that.. I'm very sloowwwly getting it.. LOL I wanted to go skate last night, but didn't- tonight was plan-B but still didn'nt make it to the rink. Getting my man cave ready for a dozen girl sleepover for Emily's 13th B-day party sleepover.. "LORD pleease Give me strength.." I'm gonna seriously be outnumbered tommorrow night.. At least it will be peaceful upstairs,hopefully- wish me luck.. LMAO

on the brentwood meet, I can't make any promises but, i will surely do my best to make it..I told the girls were gonna do 1 maybe 2 more roadtrip skate-meets before school starts back.. Geez, can you believe it's almost august !?!?!?!?!?PinchFrusty
07-08-2011, 09:06 PM,
Re: New Guy here, Hello Folks..
It may be "easy", but it takes awhile to develop the muscle memory.

A dozen teenage girls? Doh I'll say a prayer for you. Biggrin

(sent via tapatalk.)
07-09-2011, 08:16 PM,
(07-08-2011, 09:06 PM)Reserector Wrote: It may be "easy", but it takes awhile to develop the muscle memory.

A dozen teenage girls? Doh I'll say a prayer for you. Biggrin

(sent via tapatalk.)

Yes-sir-ree.. I agree 110% on the muscle memory deal. once certain techniques is tattooed in ones legs ,ankles and hips. closing your eyes and doing the dang thang is like eating fried chicken ya don't think about it ya just do it.. WiggleShowoff but i'm quite a ways away from closing my eyes on bunch of things.. I believe the old memory thing remembers what skates your using too.. They tried to remind a few times of that..Blind

well, my man cave is officially taken over tonight with my daughters and their friends. My best half is doing the catering and supervisor thing, so it's time to go skate a few miles around town..Peace