Facebook
Backward circle loops!
04-26-2011, 10:14 PM,
Backward circle loops!
We had a big test center last Saturday and the whole family took their respective tests. It was very exciting (and very EARLY) and each one of us passed our tests.

One of the tests I took was the first loops test. The second loop test starts backwards using the loop circles. I am so excited! Coach did a loops lesson today and at the end she gave me the go ahead to start working on the backward ones. The next test after this is learning the entire loop figure including the little egg loopy part.

Onward to more practice!

S
Sarah L. Hallford
I am not defined by my skate. Wink
04-26-2011, 10:27 PM,
RE: Backward circle loops!
Outstanding. Your whole family is doing really well. A whole family of awesomeness.
04-26-2011, 11:42 PM,
Congratulations, Sarah. You rock!W00t1
04-27-2011, 08:51 PM,
Meh, I'm pretty far from rocking at it but today's practice was way better! I did manage a few decent traces and started to get a feel for how much press I need on the edges.

Onward!

S
Sarah L. Hallford
04-27-2011, 09:33 PM,
Don't you mean "Backward!" Razz
04-27-2011, 09:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-27-2011, 09:37 PM by Sarah.)
W00t1
Sneaky
Sarah L. Hallford
04-29-2011, 03:00 PM,
Let me ask a stupid question. If you are rolling backwards and keeing your head up, how do you track the circle?
04-29-2011, 03:12 PM,
(04-29-2011, 03:00 PM)Reserector Wrote: Let me ask a stupid question. If you are rolling backwards and keeing your head up, how do you track the circle?

I think that is a totally legitimate question. Technically speaking if your trace is accurate, you don't need to see the line at all. With a perfect strikeoff and edge press, in theory, you would hold it until the next take off or turn. It's really the feel of the edge and the continuous rotation of your body and the timing it takes to make it around.

In reality, you really still don't need to see exactly where you are going. Right now, Coach has me avert my gaze to right in front of the employed foot that is rolling backwards. My trace is really good using that method. Some skaters turn their heads and watch over their shoulders but that tends to make me twist my upper body too much. I can get away with looking down and just behind my employed foot and still manage a decent trace but honestly, it's better if I do it by feel and watching where I've already traveled on the circle. She may change it up on me but it's what's working now.

Did that make sense?

S
Sarah L. Hallford
04-29-2011, 03:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-29-2011, 03:40 PM by Reserector.)
Thanks. I can sort of picture that.