Facebook
CoastalChick - Hello out there - new here!
03-28-2011, 11:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2012, 08:11 AM by Reserector.)
CoastalChick - Hello out there - new here!
Hi all, I'm glad to be here. I'm a mid-30's gal who has been getting back into my once-favorite activity after years off skates...and I'm really having a ball. There is no quad skating community to speak of here any longer, and only one piddly little "rink" (an old basketball court with inflatable wall barriers), so online is pretty much all the support and chat I'm ever going to get!

Right now, aside from the run-of-the-mill rentals at the rink, I do most of my skating around the neighborhood, on Alpha-1s (stiff and heavy, but nicely long and forward). The wheels (Roller Derby Twisters) are infinitely better than the skates themselves, LOL, but it all works fine for what I need them for. I skate a few times a week, mostly with my kids in tow - but occasionally I get the chance to head out with a friend.

I'll soon be buying a decent set of indoor skates (probably the Rebel Invader, but still open)...once the blessed tax return comes in.

I look forward to hanging out here...I don't have much to contribute yet, but hopefully that will change!

CoastalChick
03-28-2011, 11:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-28-2011, 11:40 PM by ynot.)
RE: Hello out there - new here!
Hi CoastalChick, Welcome to the forum. I am new to here also, weeks older than you. Your introduction is much better than mine. Thumbsupup
03-29-2011, 08:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-29-2011, 07:03 PM by Reserector.)
It's great to have you here. So many of us are returning skaters.
By all means, let's talk about skates and everything else. Quads in my area are slowly coming back, but the real community is still online, although choices are few. I think you will be very happy with this group.

I will add more later when I am at my pc. Typing on my Android phone atm.
03-29-2011, 07:34 PM,
Welcome The local rink sounds kind of pathetic, but a rink nonetheless. I skate is some pretty diverse places, so I have no room to complain Wink

It sounds like you have done some research on skates. It would be good to start a thread about any question you may have from boot fit to wheels. Ask for others' thoughts on particular brands and such.

I have always been intrigued by the Alpha 1. It looks like the length is adjustable if you remove the brace.

Is the basketball court wooden? What is the surface like? What style of skating do you like to do?

I did a review on the Rebel Invaders that my son has, and we still feel that it is a great package skate for most recreational, derby and advanced indoor and outdoor skating. Every component is highly rated among the skating community at large. I could hunt up that review on here if you like.

You can also go with custom setups if you prefer a different component here or there. I seriously suggest going through the Skate Market tab and checking with either DerbySMACK.com or NewJamSkates.com when you are ready to buy. They both have a wide selection, great customer service and stand behind their product. They also treat our forum members really really good. Just make sure they know who you are. You can also PM nathan_ with questions about either sites' products, or to ask about something that is not listed.
I don't get kick-backs or anything. I just believe in them that much. They have always gotten me exactly what I want as quick and cheap as possible.

Anyway, I sure you have many questions. Make yourself at home and ask away. Post some pictures, also whenever the mood strikes.
03-29-2011, 08:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-29-2011, 08:37 PM by CoastalChick.)
The local rink sounds kind of pathetic, but a rink nonetheless.

Ha, oh yes...it is certainly pathetic! It's an old maple floor, and it's maintained...sort of...nothing amazing. The one thing that it has going for it is that if you get there before 4 PM, it's dirt cheap, and there's rarely anyone there, so we have plenty of room!

There used to be a nice rink here, but it tanked in the early 90s. I put many miles on that surface as a kid!

I have always been intrigued by the Alpha 1. It looks like the length is adjustable if you remove the brace.

It is adjustable, but not much. Maybe I'm in a weird boot/plate size combo...I don't know. I wear a 9 men's, and I got very little extra movement forward...but I bought them for asphalt skating, so I took every millimeter I could get. They're definitely not nice boots, but laced only partway, they do okay. And I do like the wheels.

I just went and read your review on the Rebel Invaders - thank you for doing that! Sounds like they really are a pretty big bang for the buck, which is important for me right now. I have more reading and research to do, and I will start a thread; this is really nice to have people who can answer specifics! I will also certainly look into DerbySmack when I'm ready to buy, and keep those contacts in mind.

Thanks for the welcome!
03-30-2011, 07:39 AM,
Hello. Hiya Welcome to the site.
03-30-2011, 12:06 PM,
Welcome.
04-01-2011, 11:18 AM,
Welcome to the site. Lots of good info here. Good people, too.
04-03-2011, 11:59 AM,
Thanks, everybody!

I've been out of town for a few days - took the kids on a mini- (local) vacation for spring break - and then took last night as "me time" to go to the roller derby match (Savannah vs. Charleston) with my best friend! Lots of fun; I haven't been to see any roller derby in quite a while.

After lunch, 24 wheels will be hitting the street! And then I start the tedious process of catching up on my Internet backlog, since I've been too impatient to do much of it on the BlackBerry...
04-03-2011, 06:44 PM,
I try to limit my phone-based internet activity to critical stuff like validating accounts. I find it is usually better to wait until I am at a PC. It's more efficient, and I can do a better job of it.

Sounds like things are going well. Good to hear.