Facebook
Art Meet today
12-19-2010, 05:45 PM,
Art Meet today
First the bad news, I skated like I just learned my figures in the Novice B event. I had psyched myself all out in my head, I guess. They delayed our event and the four of us ended up frozen standing around waiting for almost 20 minutes. By the time we got to warmup, I could hardly feel my feet. I actually forgot to finish my last circle and had to go back to finish it. I've never done that before, even in practice. I ended up 4th place out of 4 skaters. Phooey on that.

So, I was very frustrated and mad as hell at myself going into the Subloops event which they called before I even had a chance to skate my Novice B figures. My head was definitely all freaked out over that. Note to self: Remember that they can't start the event without you and put it OUT of your mind and concentrate on what you are skating NOW. I had to rush off the floor and change my skates and get back on the floor to warm up for the Subloop event.

My daughter and I both skated the Subloop event together. That was actually really fun. I wasn't sure if it would feel strange to be skating with her but it turned out to be very cool. There were 6 skaters in the event, one of whom is in our club and who took first at the last meet. Being the stubborn person that I am, I dug in my heels and really put out my best effort after the epic fail on my Novice B figures. I am delighted to report that I placed second out of 6 and my daughter took third behind me. I can't even begin to tell you what a thrill it was for both of us to go up and receive our medals together.

I was absolutely shocked to find out my placement. I figured I was done and ready to pack up and go home but my coach insisted I leave my skates on until the results were posted.

Lily did pretty well in her Primary figure event. She tied for fourth and might have moved up a bit if she hadn't accidentally let her toe wheels hit the floor. I missed when that happened but she mentioned it as soon as she came off the floor. I think she's a lot like me and felt even more determined to do better in her second event.

I learned a lot today. I think the most important part was not giving up after the Novice B event. I could easily have let myself be defeated and sit and cry over it but getting up and going back out was the best thing I could have done.

S
Sarah L. Hallford
I am not defined by my skate. Wink
12-19-2010, 07:51 PM,
RE: Art Meet today
I have a hunch that losing the first event was just what you needed. If you had a choice of excelling at only one event, wouldn't it be the one with Lily , and your matching costumes that you worked so hard on.

It sounds like you won the day. The lack of a first place means that you have all the more reason to skate some more. Thumbsupup

I'm proud of you, knowing how hard you work at it and how you put it all together in spite of a busy family life. My hat is off to you.

What exactly is sub loops?
12-19-2010, 08:29 PM,
Great job you guys!! It's a lot of hard work. At least you can go to a competition and see just how well you are doing on all the aspects you are learning! It sounds like you had fun competing with your daughterThumbsupup
12-19-2010, 10:46 PM,
Thanks, you guys!

Subloops is the first loop figures. They are the small set of three circles with the little egg shaped loop in the center of them. The subloop category is skated without the little egg part. Basically, it's mini figure circles. The kicker is that with those little circles you either start out right and make it through or you mess up and that's the way it goes. On the big circles, you have time before your next transition (at the lower levels) to fix anything that started out wrong.

When I asked my coach to let me start with loops, I didn't KNOW that I wouldn't get to do the little loopy part itself. I felt like Charlie Brown at Halloween getting the rock instead of candy when I found out. Boo

In the USARS/RSA achievement tests, I believe the first two levels are without the egg part of the loop. So, you have forward and backward, inside and outside edges and some serpentine tracings. Serpentine is when you skate 1.5 circles with one push, just like on the big ones. My coach told me that USARS recently added a bunch of new loop categories and I think subloops is one of them.

Did that make any sense or is it too full of art technical jargon?

S
Sarah L. Hallford
12-19-2010, 11:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-19-2010, 11:25 PM by Reserector.)
I get it. Good enough explanation for me.

Soup nazi says: "No egg for you!"

[Image: S7S06_The_Soup_Nazi.jpg]

Did you ever post a picture of the finished matching outfits? I saw your daughter's on FB, but not yours.
12-20-2010, 08:10 AM,
That is relly nice that you can do that with your daughter. She must love the dedication.
12-20-2010, 02:12 PM,
(12-19-2010, 11:24 PM)Reserector Wrote: Soup nazi says: "No egg for you!"

[Image: S7S06_The_Soup_Nazi.jpg]

Did you ever post a picture of the finished matching outfits? I saw your daughter's on FB, but not yours.

Dang that old soup Nazi.

You know I never got a pic of both of us together in our matching outfits. I was wishing we had worn them yesterday. I'll try to get my son to take one in the next few weeks.

S
Sarah L. Hallford
12-20-2010, 02:15 PM,
If you wait too long, hers will be too tight, and yours will be too loose. Wink
12-22-2010, 11:03 PM,
(12-20-2010, 02:15 PM)Reserector Wrote: If you wait too long, hers will be too tight, and yours will be too loose. Wink

I know, I know. Whathesaid

S
Sarah L. Hallford