Facebook
Absoute Best Rink
04-28-2015, 12:36 PM,
Absoute Best Rink
There are places that I have not been, but have heard a lot about, such as The Oaks. I would LOVE to skate there at least once.

So my question is this; If you could skate at any rink, existing or demolished, whether you have been there or not, what rink would you choose? Why?

For me, my desire for years was to go back to my childhood rink Young's Skating Center in Mays Landing, NJ. I got back there a few years back and was amazed to find that (for the most part) it looked the same. It was like a trip back through time. I think I teared up a bit.

I woudl olve to go back in time to when I first skated at a rink. It was Ventnor, NJ. My dad took me. It was a small wood floor rink. We all had wood wheels with loose-ball bearings. Thinking back, it was actually very small, but I would sure like to see it again to put it in perspective.

So now, I look forward to opportunities to skate some of the iconic old rinks, but I don't know of many. I need some places to add to my bucket list.
04-28-2015, 03:40 PM,
RE: Absoute Best Rink
There is one in Texas that I believe is the biggest in the country. Which one is that? I think they used one end of the floor for a skateboard park, and STILL have a huge floor.

And isn't there one in the Mall of America? Would like to check that out, too.
05-01-2015, 03:31 PM,
The nicest rink is the one I can get to regularly! Smile

I have skated at Guptill's in Albany, which also claims to be the largest. Pretty nice dark wood floor in there.

I really want to get to the Oaks one of these days. Smile
08-21-2015, 12:22 AM,
I know of a couple places in Gastonia, NC. Kate's skating rink. They have a website www.katesonline.com if you want to see pics. They have 2 locations, the Lowell location has been there since I was a child and started out with a cement floor and later changed to a wood floor. The Hudson location is a newer location that has only been there for a few years. Both floors are well taken care of and are super nice. Of course it's not really saying much considering the Kate's in Lowell and Hudson are the only rinks I've skated besides the one I've been going too recently which has the worst floor I've ever seen and the one I skated most when I was a teen which has since closed down. The one I'm currently going too with the horrible floor, I only go there because it's pretty much dead and it allows my kids the space they need to learn without getting ran over. Not to mention it's affording me the opportunity to get my legs back under me also.
We may be getting older but that doesn't mean we have get boring and act out age!
08-22-2015, 07:54 PM,
Went to Kate's today. The floor was a lil rougher than I last remembered but still a lot better than the place with the dirty for. Think we'll start going there from now on.
We may be getting older but that doesn't mean we have get boring and act out age!
10-30-2015, 06:03 PM,
(05-01-2015, 03:31 PM)fresh eddie fresh Wrote: The nicest rink is the one I can get to regularly! Smile

I have skated at Guptill's in Albany, which also claims to be the largest. Pretty nice dark wood floor in there.

I really want to get to the Oaks one of these days. Smile

I agree with the first answer
11-10-2015, 01:27 PM,
Hi Gang!

The best for me was simply called Skateland here is Columbus, Ohio. It had a large tile floor and was awesome to skate on. They had organ music but when the organist went on break they would play top 40 music and the speed of the skating about doubled. That's where my current boots came from in '69. I stopped skating in 1975 when I met my wife to be and started back after a thirty six year lull. The place is still there but shortly after I stopped going it was sold and turned into a bar and I've never been inside to see what they have done to the place.
My Skates:
Riedell 297 Boots
Roll Line Ring Plates
Roll Line Speed Bearings
Bones Super Elite 57mm x 30mm 103a Wheels

11-12-2015, 10:50 PM,
Good story. Sad ending.