Facebook
WELL? I am Flipped OUT! Thats it. Done for.
08-30-2013, 11:33 AM,
WELL? I am Flipped OUT! Thats it. Done for.
                For years I battled the Auzzies and their Flips is it and only the it.

So,why not? Surely there as good as a Vegemite sandwich. cough cough, hack, hack. ekk.

Well they can keep them.

I put a set in my Prolines. Not so hard,they are spot welded to the pivot pin for perfect alignment when they pour the molten aluminum around them.

Using a air power muffler cut off gun with round arbor in it,and a heat gun to expand the aluminum some. The muffler impact breaks the spot weld with little effort and pushes the axles right out.

So I buy axle spacers shim pack so I can take out some of the movement back and forth of the wheels on the axles.

It is impossible to skate with out them (the shims) if you like to go in the middle of the floor and do some back and forth moves. Big click clacks and foot movement when you put your foot on the floor in the turns during a crossover.

You shim up all the clearance,and then the wheel width is 3/8" wider than a standard screw on axle set up.

So I give up. Back to the real world. etc.

I should go on Skatelog and blast them,but they would just tell me how dumb we are again.

Chevrolet is bringing the Auzzie Cruze 4 door sedan (Holden) here 2014, its a small 4 cylinder turbo direct injection diesel, been down there for years and in Europe. 46 miles per gallon 750 miles on a tank full,faster than VW TDI.

The Auzzies told us the electric cars would flop.

Is a never ending story,there side,we can't do nothing with out there help.
Okie
Rollin Rollin down that lonesome Highway. lookin for a skate place.Thumbsupup
08-30-2013, 02:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-30-2013, 02:59 PM by Armadillo.)
RE: WELL? I am Flipped OUT! Thats it. Done for.
okie,

As you have just found out the hard way, not all plate truck widths and all flip axle locking cam spreads make a good match.

Which brand of flip axles are these? Measure the wheel spread they give when wheels are tight to the lock cams. Perhaps someone with the opposite problem would trade trucks with you.

I believe the Suer Grip version flip axle's cam spread is a bit narrower than it is with the Rannalli, and other brands.

Now that decent flip cams are being laser cut in quantity down under, including 8mm ones, I (and others) will be making some titanium flips for myself from scratch, which means I can choose to make them with whatever cam spread I want.

Once I am doing a good enough job with them, I will let you know.
I realize you would only want the 7mm size, since 7mm bearing races are sturdier and they roll better.

With a full 3/8" too much cam spread on the ones you installed, perhaps you can even drill/ream a new pair of 3/32" cam pivot holes closer spaced, and cut the cam slots enough deeper to match that narrower spread.

When I did my PowerTrac plates with Rannalli flips they also had a lot of gap behind the wheels needing to be filled, and I even used a speed nut, converted to a washer, to help fill this big gap.

Being as I was mostly only rolling narrow Atom Strokers on them, the wheel spread was not much of an issue, but when I would throw the wider Hyper Pista wheels on them, the wheels seemed to feel a little too wide with their track.

BTW, you can use some 22mm OD bearing spacer washers between the outer bearing and the hub to take up some of the excess cam spread without widening the wheel track, but you can only push the outer bearing out of the hub so far (maybe 2mm) before this becomes counter productive. Still, 2mm on each wheel can fill nearly half the gaps without any widening of the wheel track.

[Image: IMG_4098.jpg]

If you have any suggestions for any good suppliers of precision ground Ti6AL4V shaft stock, let me know.

-Armadillo
Rollin' on Air
08-30-2013, 03:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-30-2013, 04:01 PM by "OKIE".)
Hi there Dillo ,nice to here from you. Hope all is well over @ Skatelog Forum. HA Ha.

The flip I got came from SESS in Atlanta area. Also the 7MM shims.

They are real high quality,I did not Rockwell test though. A file will not mark them.

I was going to make 1 aluminum spacer for the outside and Swiss file a narrow slot in the face of the spacer so the flip will have room to go over center. But,I still do some new wheel testing and there all over the place,no 2 manufactures are holding the same center space.

When I purchased my 1st pair of Prolines (1993) they were the race only versions ,no toe stop boss and they came with flips. The Proline flips had just enough room to flip on his first Interceptors aluminum hubs. And the flips were spot welded in just like the modern ones. His 3 versions of Interceptors were designed for his plates and flips. He was building in his garage in Lake El Senior, California. On a Bridgeport. Yankee ingenuity.

I sent the race only plates back and exchanged for the Art Prolines. There 1/4" taller main beam,and the toe stop lock screw is out front of the toe stop,so I could cut off the front and not do any damage to the pivot area.

Any way now just do do the nuts.

On another subject. Remember the nutty Tulsa roller derby girls I use to build there skates and drive the team bus.

The real nutty one. Rosie the Wrecker 666. She is a long time HOT TOPIC store manager. They transferred her to a Chicago area Hot Topic store. It is in a mall in Aurora. She has joined the local derby team there and has already scored over 100 points by herself. She has skated just about all the rinks in the area except the Orbit.

She sends me pictures of the signs in the rinks,that light up with what is next on the floor. She says there is some real good skaters in the rinks there and she gets after them pretty much. I keep her in Ceramic bearings and Atom Wheels.

Lots of beginning derby skaters there to. When we started our team in Tulsa we recruited ONLY the best skaters and most of the women off the quad race teams. We won the first 12 games.
Okie

Heres a picture of the little darling. Rosie The Wrecker 666 http://s246.photobucket.com/settings/album

Rollin Rollin down that lonesome Highway. lookin for a skate place.Thumbsupup
08-31-2013, 12:00 AM,
Re: WELL? I am Flipped OUT! Thats it. Done for.
Sorry it didn't work out for ya Okie, I've been wanting flip axles as that's what I'm used to back from my day but for now I'll hold off. I ordered the variant plate that you recommended and I can't wait.

If you need something checked for hardness let me know, I'm a heat treater by trade.

Thanks Steve

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
08-31-2013, 05:30 PM,
okie,

New idea to solve your too-wide flip axle issue. Just scrounge the inner races out of some trashed 7mm bearings to make outside spacers. They will still engage perfectly with the flip cam.

So, when will you be heading up this way to visit Rosie?
She needs to come to a Wed. night speed class at Orbit to skate with two of the best derby skaters in the Chicagoland area.

-Armadillo
Rollin' on Air
09-08-2013, 11:12 AM,
Hey Okie,

You needed a custom width is all, forget about all those shims. I bet i know someone who could knock out a set for you. Washer on the outside will work though, get a Deano wheel it will be tighter, HAHA. I know how much you love Aussie thane!

WesThumbsupupThumbsupupThumbsupup