SouthernSkater Forums
Newb searching for some skate advice - Printable Version

+- SouthernSkater Forums (https://southernskater.com)
+-- Forum: General Forums (https://southernskater.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself (https://southernskater.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Newb searching for some skate advice (/showthread.php?tid=1398)

Pages: 1 2

Newb searching for some skate advice - jpb437 - 05-10-2015

Hey all,

I am just getting back into roller skating. I am 30 years old and currently active duty in the Air Force. I also have 2 children who love to skate. For the last 6 weeks I have had my 6 and 8 year old in skate lessons. They have loved it and this offered me the opportunity to skate for around 3 hours every Saturday after lessons. Since they like it so much I think it is time for me to pick up some skates for the kiddos. I would also like to get some decent skates for me and my wife. I am just here to look around and attempt to get knowledgeable before hitting the store to drop my hard earned money. I looked at the rink but didn't see anything I would spend money on. Anyways I'm sure I will be on here regularly trying to "get smart".

Josh

RE: Newb searching for some skate advice - fresh eddie fresh - 05-11-2015

Hi There! Welcome to SoutherSkater!!! I would imagine for the kids it would be tough, because if you get them skates that are really nice, they might outgrow them pretty quickly... the people I know with kids generally try and find second hand skates. Then they can sell them when the kids outgrow them, and use the money to buy new (used) skates as their feet get bigger. You can also opt for a nice pair of plates and switch them from boot to boot as they outgrow them. A good set of plates can last you a lifetime.

For your and your wife, what kind of skates do you like better (low or high boots/heels) and how do you like for them to perform? Do you like to be able to turn easily, or have a little more stability? If you are looking for low skates that are great for starting out, and are easily adapted for when you of she might want them to turn more, the Sure Grip Rebel Avenger is a lot of bang for the buck. The boots are generally comfy right out of the box, the Fugitive wheels grip well (once you break them in) and the Avenger plate can be dialed in to be stiffer or as maneuverable as you like (there are YouTube videos to show you how to set them up.)

I think it is awesome you and your family are skating together! I didn't get into skating until I was a little older and wish my family did that kind of stuff when I was young. Smile

RE: Newb searching for some skate advice - Reserector - 05-11-2015

First of all, welcome back to skating, welcome to the site, and congratulations on finding a sport that your whole family can do. It shows that you are leading your family. Thumbsupup And the family that plays together, stays together.

It's not easy finding the ideal skate on the first try. Even though you have skated before, skates have changed a bit, and there are better offerings than before.

For the kids, there is little point in spending a bunch on skates because of the growth thing. One can hand down to the other, so that helps. Look for used skates at yard sales. Tell others that you want skates for your kids. You never know what may turn up. If you are offered some that are too big, save for the future.

For you and your wife:
Unless you are small, or thin, I suggest an aluminum (or magnesium) plate. In most cases, the package skates come with plastic plates to keep the cost down, but they will likely cause you grief. They usually sag and flex, which affects your control and comfort.
Buy a decent boot, or get fitted for a good boot. Depends on your budget and how advanced you are. You don't want a cheap boot that will fall apart, but you also might not want to commit to a great boot yet.

Wheels are often somethign that people experiment with until they find something they like. They are very diverse.

We often contact Nathan, who is a member here. He owns DerbySmack.com who is a big online distributor. He gives us here at SS preferential treatment. If you go to his site http://derbysmack.com and use the chat box that pops up, tell him that you are a member on SouthernSkater.com. Shades
His advise is very, very good. He will take care of you on price, too.

That said, there is nothing wrong with supporting your local rink, as long as they can guide you, or you know what you want. Sounds like that is not the case, though.

So read through teh forums here and get some idea of what you would like, then post your thoughts and we'll go from there.

RE: Newb searching for some skate advice - jpb437 - 05-11-2015

Thanks much for the pointers. I am glad I found this forum before spending any money. For the kids I was looking at probably just starting them in some Riedell Wave Juniors. After reading around here I feel like the skates will hold them back. I think I need to keep looking around to find decent used kids skates instead.

My wife and I are both interested in short boots. She likes them stable I am looking for a little more movement. I am 6'2" 220 so I think an aluminum plate is probably a necessity. I have been looking at the Sure Grip Rebel Avenger for me already but I am not sure how my wife will react to me dropping $300 on skates. She is not nearly as into skating as I am. She hasn't enjoyed skating on rentals because they hurt her feet and she says her shins hurt. I couldn't explain the shins I have never had any leg pain from skating other than just fatigue. Also she has had knee surgery and was worried about over working it. I think if I get her some decent skates she will like it much more. Would getting her a pair or Reidell R3s or cheap Sure Grip Rebels be worth the money for starter skates? I figure if she like it I can always upgrade the plates, Is that accurate?

Thanks again for your help. I found a local roller derby shop that carries a few boots in stock so hopefully I am going to have my wife try some on this weekend. If all goes well she can figure out a comfortable boot and determine her size. I will be sure to contact Derby Smack when I think I have it figured out.

RE: Newb searching for some skate advice - Reserector - 05-12-2015

The shin pain is a real thing. Fibromialgia or something like that?? I remember others on here discussing it. I think it has to do with the heel height, but I could be wrong. But getting the right boots for her is going to be paramount to her comfort and success.

I would get the Rebels over the R3 without a second thought. And the Rebels may be fine as a starting point for her. They are good enough that she will enjoy herself. The rebel boots are real leather, and the shape often works well for women's feet if her feet are a bit wide in the front, as many seem to be.

Avenger is a great plate. It is one that has a wide range of adjustability by changing cushions in the trucks. Light weight, too.

Derby Smack will build whatever boot, plate, wheel and bearing combo you want. I don't think they charge any more for that. If they do, it's not much. Worth it to do that as opposed to buying a package skate knowing that you are going to replace parts of it right away.

RE: Newb searching for some skate advice - fresh eddie fresh - 05-12-2015

I'm wondering if the shin pain could be related to the high heel on most rentals?

You can definitely swap plates between boots.... I have over a dozen pairs of skates and I think only two or three pairs has only one set of holes in the soles. A few have three sets of holes in them! As long as they don't hit each other, it is fine, and if they do, you can patch up the soles so they can be re-drilled.

Just out of curiosity, what derby shop is near you? Also, what size skate do you take?

RE: Newb searching for some skate advice - jpb437 - 05-12-2015

(05-12-2015, 02:27 PM)fresh eddie fresh Wrote: I'm wondering if the shin pain could be related to the high heel on most rentals?

Just out of curiosity, what derby shop is near you? Also, what size skate do you take?

Derby Supply High Altitude is the only store I found within a reasonable distance. I could go to Denver and there are more stores but that is over 70 miles away.

I wear a size 11 or 12 skate depending on the skate and my wife has been wearing size 10. We can hopefully get properly fitted this weekend and take some notes as to how each boot fits.

Also if the heel on the boot is what is causing issues, I should be able to remove the heel and re-mount the plate to the flat bottom right? It sounds like it would work easy enough. Any thoughts?

RE: Newb searching for some skate advice - fresh eddie fresh - 05-13-2015

(05-12-2015, 05:15 PM)jpb437 Wrote: Derby Supply High Altitude is the only store I found within a reasonable distance. I could go to Denver and there are more stores but that is over 70 miles away.

I wear a size 11 or 12 skate depending on the skate and my wife has been wearing size 10. We can hopefully get properly fitted this weekend and take some notes as to how each boot fits.

Also if the heel on the boot is what is causing issues, I should be able to remove the heel and re-mount the plate to the flat bottom right? It sounds like it would work easy enough. Any thoughts?

I was just wondering if you were near me/took the same size skate as me because I might have something that could work for you, but I take a 9.5 in Riedell and I'm in Boston (we have Bruised Boutique nearby.)

The only boot that I know of with a removable heel (it was stapled/glued on) was the Vanilla Brass Knuckles 1.0. In general with speed boots (the low ones) the heels are anywhere from flat to about a quarter of an inch or so. The taller art boots (and most rentals) have a much higher heel. Just switching to a speed boot might help a lot.

It is awesome you have a place to try things on... I remember when I first got into skating a lot of it was trial and error. I bought a couple pairs in a 10 before I realized a 9.5 was better in most skates for me.

RE: Newb searching for some skate advice - jpb437 - 05-14-2015

Thanks again for the info fresh eddie. I figured I could just take a chisel and pop off a heel no problem. Glad I didn't ruin a boot trying. Luckily my wife has only shown interest in speed boots so the heel might not be an issue. I am excited to go check out the skate store here. They don't show what they have in stock on the website but I hope they have enough to at least try some on. Only 3 more days till fitting/shopping time

RE: Newb searching for some skate advice - Reserector - 05-14-2015

Cool. Keep us posted. Thumbsupup