What to do with Skechers 4-Wheeler
Question 
Here's a fun project...
I've got a pair of Skechers 4-Wheelers (not the Britney Spears ones) that I picked up years ago. I know they're no good for derby. The wheels and most of the hardware are crap, but they're just so fun that I can't part with them. Any thoughts on what I could do to them to at least make them a half-way decent outdoor or session skate? Or should I just consider them a lost cause and put them on a shelf just for show?

Here's what they look like if you haven't seen them. Yes, one of the skates has a rear stop. I just love the novelty of these skates!

[Image: 4-wheelers.JPG]
How do they skate? If you can lop off that rear break somehow and replace the wheels, they might be decent outdoor skates. Comfy, at the very least.
Are the wheels urethane, or more like plastic?
Good outdoor wheels, good urethane cushions, and maybe stiffener plates between the plate and sole.
Do you use the heel brake?
I don't think I've ever used the rear brake. The wheels are no good, so I'm planning to replace those. The bearings are ABEC 1s I think, so I may as well replace those too. I'll have to check the cushions.
Best bet is to remove that back brake so that way its not catching anything. If you have a similar plate that isn't in use you could probably just transfer it over and use better equipment.
Sure-Grip Rebel Boots - Red
Sure-Grip White DA45 Magnesium Plates
Sure-Grip Fugitive Wheels - Purple 89a/Red 95a Zombies with Moto Prem Swiss, Red 92A with Bones Super Swiss 6, Black 92A/Orange 89A with Moto Prem Swiss
It wouldn't really make sense to put another plate on this. You might as well just put a plate on a sneaker and it would be less work for the same result.
It was only if she really wanted to keep what she has and upgrade what's needed to use them
Sure-Grip Rebel Boots - Red
Sure-Grip White DA45 Magnesium Plates
Sure-Grip Fugitive Wheels - Purple 89a/Red 95a Zombies with Moto Prem Swiss, Red 92A with Bones Super Swiss 6, Black 92A/Orange 89A with Moto Prem Swiss
I would love to know the details of how they are mounted. I figure the soles must be made to handle it. Shrug
The Skeachers, and the Nash Cruisers are some of the best casual outdoor skates ever made in my opinion.

Somewhere in storage I still have 7 or 8 pairs of various sizes that I picked up over the years that I used as loaner skates for friends/acquaintances, etc; that either didn't own skates, or were just learning.

They are very forgiving as far as terrain (not paying attention to changing surface conditions), nearly instant on/off the foot (wearability), and have a back brake built in --- Which is the most essential part of an outdoor skate (my opinion), but at the risk of sounding like an ass (which is not my intention), those that don't have one, don't Really outdoor skate, or at least aren't subject to radical changes in elevation (downhill areas that may or may not be previously known), or sharp turns that can come upon you unexpectedly and can't be negotiated by slowing with a toe stop, or render it impossible to turn around and use both toe stops. --- A back brake is your greatest friend outdoors, and the stop can be easily removed if you skate bowls/pools, etc; though these skates are not ideal for these type of activities.

The problems with either the Skeachers, or Nash skates, is that they come stock with toe stops (and rear brake stops) that are too long, and can cause you to stumble.

This is easily remedied by either replacing them with standard stops, or shaving the stock pieces down by about a third --- particularly the rear stop. I always asked my local rink for a few "replaced" stops which are ideal for outdoor use on these skates, if you don't mind the orange color.

As for the wheels, they are great for rink use, but barely adequate for outdoor use. I recommend a set of 65MM wheels (or larger). About 82A or 78A. As far a currently available outdoor wheels, I like the 66MM Radar Pure's best, as they will roll over most any obstacle effortlessly, and are as smooth as glass on most any surface you will encounter outdoors, and are relatively light, but even the Kryptonics (a Shadow of how good they used to be) are good. --- The 65MM Atom Pulses are quite decent and cheap, The Road hogs are light, but a tad harsh if you are a heavy person --- but the shoe sneaker/should absorb most any extraneous harshness regardless of the wheel. --- I still use a couple sets of old/discontinued Cadillac wheels
, 80A 70MM as my primary wheels. The best wheels ever made in my opinion.

I have used several sets of Skeachers plates mounted on Riedell boots back when I did a lot of downhill, and have been 57 MPH on them, so plate quality is not an issue.

Since any of these skates are 10+ years old, the bushings may need replace (unless they have been stored inside at a reasonable temperature, in which case they are most likely fine), as most any part from 10+ years ago is (sadly) better than what is currently available. The Sure Grip stock replacement bushings work just fine and are available at your local skating rink as most use them on the rental skates, or if you have a preferred durometer bushing, you can try them, but the additional flexibility of the sneaker will dictate that you either go to a slightly harder bushing, or crank down whichever bushing you choose if substantially higher speeds are a desire.

If you really want to improve them, I would re-mount the plates forward a bit (1/2 inch or so), as they came with plates that are reasonably short, but feel better if the plate is moved forward a bit. Not an essential mod, but worthwhile nonetheless.

Bearings are subject to your discretion, but "clean and lubed" will equal or beat "the latest and greatest" everytime. I will say that I have never used a set of ceramic bearings, so keep that in mind, but I have probably used more different bearings, at higher speeds that anyone on the site, and the difference is mostly immeasurable. The only exception being that the nylon caged bearings were faster than the brass caged bearings. When I was young, the German Speed bearings (brass caged) were the best bearing made (better than the Faffnirs). But the introduction of the nylon caged bearings from Japan/China/Taiwan (considered junk at the time) were much faster and durable than the "precision" bearings (My fastest speed ever clocked was 63 MPH on "junk" nylon caged bearings). --- All of which is irrelevant, and unmeasurable in day to day skating. --- Clean and lubed is the key to speed.

The Skeachers (or Nash's) aren't optimized for any particular form of skating, but they are great for casual/fun outdoor or even rink skating. In fact for social outdoor, they may be the best design ever. My opinion anyway. --- I just bought sets for my 6 Y.O. Grandson, and my daughter in law. I could afford to have bought them anything, but having spent most of my life on skates, that's what I chose for them.

Sorry for the length of this, but I hope it helps.
Wow! Thanks for all the great information. That helps a ton. It sounds like I've got a nice set of outdoor skates and just need to go wheel shopping. Like Skechers shoes, they are super comfortable!

For fun and to give them a good clean, I did tear them down. While doing so, I took some pictures of the parts for those interested.

The rear brake mounts to the truck rather than the plate
[Image: 100_1876.JPG]

The plate has a raised Skechers logo in the middle
[Image: 100_1887.JPG]

The insole must be glued down because I couldn't lift it out, but it looks like the mounting hardware is glued\cemented. You can see it around the screws.
[Image: 100_1885.JPG]

The wheels are hubless and have Skechers embossed in them (and need to be cleaned...)
[Image: 100_1880.JPG]

The bearings actually stamped with "Skechers" too. A nice touch.
[Image: 100_1881.JPG]