Old timer back on skates
Hi all,
I'm a 71 year old that recently got back on wheels. I learned to skate on the sidewalks of Brooklyn when I was 8 years old. The skates were a pair of metal clamp ons with steel wheels. My dad took my sister and I to a rink for the first time when I was 10 or 11 (1956 -1957). I think the wheels on the rental skates were made of either wood or clay based.  I skated on rink rentals until I was 32 when I got married. Life caught up with me at that point & I never seemed to find time to skate until now.
All of the rinks I skated back then had wood floors. I was shocked to find that the three rinks local to me have painted concrete floors. I bought a pair of Rock GT-50 skates to get rolling again & I'll probably get some Bonts once I find my balance again. I'm having a hard time with the grippy wheels that are prevalent now. At 300 lbs even Bones 103s are too grippy. I ordered a set of Fo-Mac Premiers & got 2 wobbly wheels out of the 8 and Sure-Grip is dragging their feet about replacing them under their warranty. If anyone has a contact at Sure-Grip customer service please shoot mena PM.
Didn't mean to get sidetracked....it's good to be rolling again and very nice that there is a friendly forum to participate on.

Gary

Messages In This Thread
Old timer back on skates - by Beech Creek Gary - 11-29-2017, 02:14 PM
RE: Old timer back on skates - by Reserector - 12-04-2017, 12:56 AM
Old timer back on skates - by Reserector - 12-05-2017, 12:09 PM