Mississippi The Secret Rink
I call it secret because only a few people seem to know about it. Let me explain:
The little church that I belong to (Pathway Community Church) decided to have a skating party. The woman who organized the event rented out a small rink in Waynesboro, MS that is in a steel building out in the rural part of the county.

Owned by the Hamasa Shrine, it is available only on a rental basis. There are no public session. Even the Shriners have to schedule and rent it to skate there.
They must do pretty well, because as our group was leaving, another group was arriving.

The rink itself is a small, old wooden floor in decent condition. Traction was good and it felt fairly smooth.
I arrived late and the group was already skating. It was dark, with only some strings of white lights and a couple of disco balls for floor lighting.

They had the typical tan rental skates whith orange wheels. They appeared to be in good shape, although I used my own skates.

All in all it was a fun and unique experience. There were kids going in all directions at times, and there were a couple running around without skates, but for once, I knew everyone enough to correct those situations without making enemies. WIN! Smile

Here are some camera pics I took after the session when the lights were on.

[Image: 127df144.jpg]
[Image: f8bd812a.jpg]
[Image: a9a3419c.jpg]
[Image: ffdd7ed7.jpg]
[Image: ab3c5c6f.jpg]
Did they have a sound system? What about the music?
Maybe when we get enough local members, SouthernSkater can rent the place out for us. Wink
There may be lots of places like that. Maybe even empty stores or warehouses that would make great rinks for small groups like that.

For me, the amount of fun depends more upon the crowd that is there more than the rink itself. Rink size or music don't matter much if the people around you are having a ball and you are a part of it.
(10-04-2010, 12:26 AM)Wheel Man Wrote: Did they have a sound system? What about the music?
Maybe when we get enough local members, SouthernSkater can rent the place out for us. Wink

You forgot the most important question; Was it air conditioned?
(10-04-2010, 12:26 AM)Wheel Man Wrote: Did they have a sound system? What about the music?

The sound system was pretty good for just a bunchof home stereo stuff. I heard no problems with it. We provided the music. It was an '80s theme.

(10-04-2010, 07:46 AM)Fun Ku Wrote: You forgot the most important question; Was it air conditioned?

It is supposed to be, but the woman said that noneof the units are worrking. The only A/C was coming from the bac rooms, which were meeting/party rooms. There were a few fans blowing. Luckily it was a cool-ish day. The inside temp was pretty good.
Hey, aren't the Shriners the guys that wear fezes and drive the go-carts in parades? Now you are telling us they have secret skating rinks?
Who do I see about joining up? W00t1
Growing up, my cousins and I got to skate in the VFW Hall during the week. It was a large room, but not as big as that rink. I seem to recall it being smooth asphalt tile. We had alot of fun there.