Hello everyone!
Rainbow 
Hello! My name is Liz (or Lizzie) and I am a new roller derby gal =D I am soon to be part of my local recreational team while I wait for next year's Freshmeat training because I missed it this year =[. I've been in love with roller derby for the past 3 years or so, but I didn't have health insurance, so I bought myself a terrible pair of Vipers from Walmart and began training myself on my own time.

I am still very much a newbie, but one of my classmates recently told me about the recreational team and a roller rink that isn't too far away and I've been going 2-3 times every week ever since!

Also, I just ordered a new pair of actual skates! Sososososo excited for them <3
Walmart sells skates? Shock That can't be good.
Welcome to the site. Great avatar pic, by the way. Thumbsupup

Please tell us about the skates you ordered.
Yeah, they were really terrible lol. The plates are pure rigid plastic, there aren't any cushions, it took over an hour just to get the toe stop on and off to put toe guards on lol. Really bad.

I ordered a pair of Sure-grip Rebel Avengers because I have fairly wide feet and I needed something with a metal plate. I almost got a pair of used Riedell Wickeds, but I couldn't get over the fact that I was essentially just paying extra for the Riedell name and it was almost the same price just to get new Rebel Avengers.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment ^^
Congrats on the new skates

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
As long as they fit well, I think you will like the Rebel Avengers. You will probably eventually go to a different boot, but the Rebel is a good place to start. They are comfortable, and fairly durable. More so than most boots in that price range.

The Avenger is a really good plate. Very precise, and very tunable.

What wheels and bearings are they coming with?

Oh, and when you get them, take the time to go through the adjustments and set them up before you skate them. There is a video on the Home page that shows how to go about it.

There are plenty of skaters here who can help you tune them once you skate them and start to figure out what you like about them, and what you WANT them to do for you.
Greetings from Mississippi! Walmart skates, yes! I'd rock em!
I love Mrs. slowpoke.
Oh I plan on tuning them up and customizing the hell out of them. I tend to research things a lot before I buy anything, the whole reason I bought the Walmart skates before was because I was just looking for something cheap to learn how to basically just skate on and that I could use to go from point A to point B on my campus lol. I tuned them as best I could at the time though, they have radar energies on them and I loosened stuff up as much as I could.

My Rebel Avengers come with the sure-grip Fugitive wheels and sure-grip ABEC-7 speed bearings. I'll most likely be switching out the toestops for gumballs.
In all honesty, I would skate a pair of Rebel Avengers way before I would skate another set of Riedell Wickeds (I had two pairs.) The Avenger plates are a million times better than the Powerdynes, and if you ever saw the "How it is Made" you will see that they just sort of hold the boots, plop the plates on and drill(!)

The important thing with the Avengers is to make sure the pivot pins are setup before you skate them... they generally ship with them set too short, which puts a lot of pressure on your kingpins. Other than that your setup sounds good to go, wheels and all. The only part I have not tried myself are the bearings, but if they are no good, you can pick up two sets of skateboard bearings and replace them.

I thought the Vipers had actual cushions? I know there is another brand that has the fixed trucks... when fresh meat would show up with them, we would tell them to return them if they still could! (I think you could buy them at Dicks Sporting Goods.)

Which league are you skating with? I used to be with NHRD, first as head ref, and then later as a coach, and have helped out Granite State and Elm City here and there. All three leagues are pretty awesome.
Yeah, the rebel avengers sounded perfect for me as soon as I heard about them. I knew about the avengers plates beforehand and was searching for a cheap boot to put on them for about a week before I found them, but wasn't finding anything right.

I'm joining NHRD's rec team the Millyard Misfits =D I might move up to a real team someday, but I missed Freshmeat this year. I'm hoping being on the red team will help give me a leg up when it comes to freshmeat and assessments next year.

My vipers don't have cushions at all, it's just plastic tubing that runs through where cushions should be and makes it look like they have cushions.
(12-02-2013, 03:19 PM)NerdieLizzie Wrote: Yeah, the rebel avengers sounded perfect for me as soon as I heard about them. I knew about the avengers plates beforehand and was searching for a cheap boot to put on them for about a week before I found them, but wasn't finding anything right.

The good thing about the Avengers is that they will turn as much as you want them to. When you are starting off you might want to have stiffer action until your ankle strength is up, then you can get softer cushions and tune them to be as responsive as you like. DA45s are great plates for derby. I was lucky to have been a tester for them (I still have the prototype DA45 modded XK-4s.)

(12-02-2013, 03:19 PM)NerdieLizzie Wrote: I'm joining NHRD's rec team the Millyard Misfits =D I might move up to a real team someday, but I missed Freshmeat this year. I'm hoping being on the red team will help give me a leg up when it comes to freshmeat and assessments next year.

As long as you are playing it is all good. I sort of wish I had more time to develop as a skater. I started skating to ref, then decided to play with the guys a couple of years later. Back then as soon as you passed your assessments, you were put on a team that was playing on a national level. Of course, being one of the only boys at practice when I was learning how to skate got me to learn fast (because I felt I had to prove myself) and getting thrown into the fire got my gameplay into relatively ok shape really fast, but taking some time to grow would have been so much nicer (and I probably would have had a few less injuries! Haha!)

(12-02-2013, 03:19 PM)NerdieLizzie Wrote: My vipers don't have cushions at all, it's just plastic tubing that runs through where cushions should be and makes it look like they have cushions.

Yikes... as soon as your new skates come in you will be much happier. When your skates work with you everything is easier... you can lean right into your crossovers and turns and you do not have to fight your skates.

Have fun skating and derbying!!