Axel or Bust!
I have set my sights on doing an Axel. 1 1/2 rotations to transition from forward to backward.

I can do the waltz jump, so this seems like the next step to me.

I started out doing a couple of watz jumps during my driveway session tonight. Then I moved into the grass and did the jump again. No, I could not roll, but I could do the 1/2 rotation and land the same as if I were moving on pavement.

I then tried to jump and rotate as far as possible. 3/4 turn the first two tries. Then I realized that I was looking down and leaning forward.
I tried again with my body straight(er) and my head up. Success! Sort of. I got a full rotation twice in a row.

I was satisfied at my progress, and went back to skating. I realize it doesn't sound like much, but it was enough to get my mind around it.

I have a feeling that rolling will help me get the rotational momentum to complete the move when the time comes.

The journey begins.......
(06-22-2010, 11:40 PM)Reserector Wrote: I have set my sights on doing an Axel. 1 1/2 rotations to transition from forward to backward.

I can do the waltz jump, so this seems like the next step to me.

I started out doing a couple of watz jumps during my driveway session tonight. Then I moved into the grass and did the jump again. No, I could not roll, but I could do the 1/2 rotation and land the same as if I were moving on pavement.

I then tried to jump and rotate as far as possible. 3/4 turn the first two tries. Then I realized that I was looking down and leaning forward.
I tried again with my body straight(er) and my head up. Success! Sort of. I got a full rotation twice in a row.

I was satisfied at my progress, and went back to skating. I realize it doesn't sound like much, but it was enough to get my mind around it.

I have a feeling that rolling will help me get the rotational momentum to complete the move when the time comes.

The journey begins.......

Work on backward loops first, just to get used to spinning and landing backwards(single rotation). An axle isn't very hard, it's all about sticking the landing. Assuming you are jumping off your right foot... the trick is to lean to the right of straight up and down and straighten up as you push off, it gives you more rotation.

It's a lot easier getting the rotation when you are moving, you can lean into it and swing the other leg better. You would be insane to practice on concrete though(unless concrete is softer in Ms. than it is in Tx.)...

I smell a videoShades
(06-23-2010, 07:10 AM)Billj Wrote: Assuming you are jumping off your right foot...

Maybe I am thinking of a broken axel. Razz I was trying to launch with my left foot, which is what I have been using for the waltz jump. It seems more natural. Is that wrong, or does it not matter?
good luck with that, mark. Biggrin
good luck with that, mark. let me know when you attempt it. I will hold the video camera. Biggrin
Live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse. Stretcher
Gee, thanks. Rolleyes2
Have you set a goal for when you expect to do this? Setting a realistic goal and some steps for how to reach it can be a huge help. It will keep you from putting it off.
You could post the plan here and plot your progress. We will hold you to your plan and cheer you on.
My goal is to do this without seriously hurting myself.
I am still formulating my plan. I tried practicing in the grass for a while. Having trouble spinning around. I have no form whatsoever. I need to get the hang of jumping up and spinning first. With or without skates.

I will keep researching the technique, and practice spinning until I am comfortable with it.
I honestly can't picture practicing on grass... I can imagine taking off on your left foot(I can't do it that way) but I can't imagine grass....

the best practice plan is to
think out how you are going to do it
visualize it
try it
get up off the floor(you will fall the first 8-10 times)
rinse
repeat.

Not on concrete though. You can kill yourself that way.
My first concern is to learn how to spin around. That is not something my brain nor my body is used to. I need to develop the muscle memory for that.
Our lawn is very soft, and I am not apprehensive about falling on it. The most that will happen is that I get damp. Razz
It also allows me to practice spinning with the weight of the skates, but without the roll.

Once I get a feel for the rotation, it will be time to pad up and go for it.
(06-24-2010, 06:47 AM)Billj Wrote: ..... taking off on your left foot(I can't do it that way)

are you left handed by any chance?
Live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse. Stretcher