25 in 5. How hard can it be?
How hard is it to do 25 in 5? Is it something that a freshie would struggle with, but a rink rat would ace?
I guess I am curious if I could do it, and partly just to have a real world understanding of what it is like.

Maybe the derby girls will school me when they start back up in March ......
I did some math: 5 x 60 seconds = 300 seconds
300 seconds divided by 25 laps = 12 seconds.
A derby track is pretty small. Sounds like a piece of cake. Biggrin

I suppose I should ask what this earns a skater when it is accomplished?
so a 25 in 5 is...????
As I understand it, it is 25 laps of a derby track in 5 minutes. A derby track is pretty short, though.
ummm i can probably do 25 laps on a full rink??? i dont get the point of it
So is it just like a race? Or is it 25 in 5 while people are trying to knock you down and kill you?

S
Sarah L. Hallford
I am not defined by my skate. Wink
If I understand correctly, it is a basic requirement for derby.
We need to get more derby people on here. I have so many questions.

On a side note, I saw one of the team mebers from the local team at the rink this past Sunday. It looked like she was working on her shuffle as she sped around the outside line. I dropped in behind and copied her moves. We went several laps like that before she suddenly slowed to turn off the floor. I did a quick side step to avoid taking her out. Haha. She had no idea I was right on her heels the whole time. Biggrin
So it's kind of like having to run a mile in under 8 minutes for the military?
"25 in 5" refers to the minimum number of laps a skater is required to do in 5 minutes in order to be eligible to compete nationally (at least under WFTDA). It is pretty hard to do if you are novice at regulating your pace. Although the flat track is smaller than a rink floor, it enables a whole new requirement of fundamentals in order to efficiently move around it... Skaters that know the jammer diamond and are able to perform constant crossovers can accomplish 25 in 5 without any cutting the track penalties or keeling over...It definitely is a challenge to some!
Much shove & abrasion,

Rogue Roulet #2012
Big Easy Rollergirls
www.bigeasyrollergirls.com
merchsales@bigeasyrollergirls.com

(12-22-2010, 05:52 PM)Rogue Wrote: "25 in 5" refers to the minimum number of laps a skater is required to do in 5 minutes in order to be eligible to compete nationally (at least under WFTDA). It is pretty hard to do if you are novice at regulating your pace. Although the flat track is smaller than a rink floor, it enables a whole new requirement of fundamentals in order to efficiently move around it... Skaters that know the jammer diamond and are able to perform constant crossovers can accomplish 25 in 5 without any cutting the track penalties or keeling over...It definitely is a challenge to some!

constant cross overs will get you moving pretty fast... i can do them on a full rink yet never thought about trying it on the derby track... maybe next week ill see how fast i can do 25 laps on the painted derby lines at one rink i go to often.... to do 25 in 5 minutes you need a 12 second lap... which from screwing around on the track thats layed out is pretty simple for me... res i dont think you would have a problem doing it to be honest you seem to skate at a decent speed on your videos...